Objectivism Online Forum

Energy IQ Survey

Rate this topic

K-Mac

http://energytomorrow.org/media/resources/r_606.pdf

Interesting survey in that most answered, "not sure" to the majority of the questions. If the word on the street and what we hear on the news is any indication, it seems that many in this country are quick to condemn the oil companies for all of our energy problems. Yet according to the survey, it seems that most don't even know the facts. I just love it when uninformed people throw around wild accusations.

I can't remember where I got the above youtube video recently, so my apologies if someone already posted it here, but I couldn't help but think of it when I read the survey. They are asking questions of "average" Americans at the gas pump. The guy with the dread locks just kills me with his idea of what a reasonable profit is for an energy company. Yikes!

Interesting survey. it indicates that at least some of the negative political pressure on oil companies is the result of mistaken factual assumptions. Therefore, one would think that companies like Exxon would try to clarify the facts. I don't recall Exxon's corporate ads, but most corporate ads of oil-companies that I see on TV talk about wishy-washy things, and actually pander to environmentalism. I think the ad industry might be letting the oil-industry down here, by making some incorrect assumptions about their audience.

I couldn't find it with a google search, but I believe the energy companies did get together, fund some sort of organization and they were running commercials, I think during the local news in the evenings. I will keep looking for it and post it here if/when I find it. Now it's bugging me.

EDIT: While looking for the above, I came across the following on the ExxonMobile website. Disgusting!

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/energy_issues_taxes.aspx

Edited by K-Mac

Edit: I just realized the survey is from that very site :o I hadn't recognized it since they revamped the style.

Ha ha! Now I feel dumb! :D

So it appears the industry is trying to defend itself. I think if the actual, individual companies were defending themselves in their ads (and all saying the same things) it would be more effective than them forming these coalitions, no??

Ha ha! Now I feel dumb! :thumbsup:

So it appears the industry is trying to defend itself. I think if the actual, individual companies were defending themselves in their ads (and all saying the same things) it would be more effective than them forming these coalitions, no??

I suspect the coalition won't be taking out full page glossy ads in Time, Newsweek and People and running TV spots. (And if they *are*, I wouldn't put it past the leftist pukes in the media to refuse to run them!) Which the individual companies *do* run when they are in viro appeasement mode.

I suspect the coalition won't be taking out full page glossy ads in Time, Newsweek and People and running TV spots. (And if they *are*, I wouldn't put it past the leftist pukes in the media to refuse to run them!) Which the individual companies *do* run when they are in viro appeasement mode.

They actually are putting their ads on TV, which is what prompted me to make a topic about it about a month ago. They haven't taken out mag ads that I know of though. You can view some of their ads on the website here:

http://www.energytomorrow.org/advertisements.aspx

Edit: I really need to stop posting in a hurry, it shows their radio and print ads there also. :thumbsup:

Edited by IchorFigure

Survey = Opinions

The problem is people don't accept that fact, and take these surveys as being somehow indicative of truth or knowledge on a subject.

Think about it how often on TV have you heard "A recent survey shows that..."

Sure, I realize that. And I think less than 2000 people took part in this survey; however, I just found it interesting that the most common answer, by far, was I don't know. I suspect most people don't know the answers to those questions, which is why I find it interesting that most people want to condemn big oil for problems they know nothing about.