Objectivism Online Forum

Theory or Practice ?

Rate this topic

It's on the whole a disappointing sight to see an average man's idea of "chatting up". An awkward introduction, followed by mindless small talk with no aim. Luckily I'm young enough not to be stuck in that routine like everyone else. Even luckier I discovered The Fountainhead.

After reading as much of Rand's writing on this topic as I could find and doing my own thinking the true way is clear. Through the way I go about meeting a woman i'm attracted to I get either outright criticism or looks of disbelief from others. Sometimes I get admiration.

As for the woman in question, her amazed reaction alone after I show my direct interest, is worth a little earache from others. It' a hard way to go but the only way for us.... ;)

In social environments I see successful businessmen walk around swinging the keys to a Bentley in the hope someone notices and starts a conversation. Why are the people in the bio-chem labs who have IQ's in the 150's an embarrassment when meeting new people ? Why does someone who has neither money or a scientific career want it in order for people to like him?

I wonder most of all about Objectivists. Are you Howard Roark in your mind and your actions ?

Edited by Seanjos

Why are the people in the bio-chem labs who have IQ's in the 150's an embarrassment when meeting new people ?

Because they are smart and enthusiastic they have socially been labelled geeks, and some amount of bullying has probably made them fall deeper into that role. Because they are smart and enthusiastic they have focused more on their primary interests rather than learning social skills, and if they try they learn it's not much fun when you're not among the "cool" kids. Instead the smart scientists find other smart scientist and they become friends. Such friendship is likely to be very rewarding intellectually but not socially. So they make their own groups and rarely go outside it, that's also a reason why it's so difficult meeting other kinds of people.

Are you Howard Roark in your mind and your actions ?

I'm not Howard Roark at all.