Objectivism Online Forum

Bad Memory

Rate this topic

I have had a terrible memory for my entire life. It frequently hurts me academically and socially. I seem to remember concepts well but as for specific things such as locations, I'm lost. Case in point, I had an assignment to give directions to my house in Spanish. I couldn't remember the five minute trip and had to mapquest it and translate that. Usually, I can barely remember what happened the day before, which becomes very frustrating. Fixing this problem could help me out a lot. I was wondering if anyone here has been in a similar situation and has solved it. I realize this may not be a solvable problem, if so, could any of you give some advice on how to deal with it?

I have had a terrible memory for my entire life. It frequently hurts me academically and socially. I seem to remember concepts well but as for specific things such as locations, I'm lost. Case in point, I had an assignment to give directions to my house in Spanish. I couldn't remember the five minute trip and had to mapquest it and translate that. Usually, I can barely remember what happened the day before, which becomes very frustrating. Fixing this problem could help me out a lot. I was wondering if anyone here has been in a similar situation and has solved it. I realize this may not be a solvable problem, if so, could any of you give some advice on how to deal with it?

I tend to be a little absent minded at times which translates into a kind of forgetfulness on occasion. A fairly simple piece of advice I was given which has helped me a bit, was that "it isn't forgetting if you never "knew" it in the first place." So, for example, if I go into a store and can't remember where I parked, most often i realize that I did not take distinct notice of it in the first place.

So the obvious fix for me was to get my mind out of abstractions occasionally and pay attention to the concrete facts of reality

I am dealing with in the present. It's irritating at first, (like sweeping or changing the oil) but once it becomes more of a habit it's less bothersome.

Did they back that up with science? If not then it is an assertion with no backing and thus hard to take seriously.

It was one of those annoying moments in the show where they simply quote a study without citing a reference or stating how it works (as opposed to the rest of the show, where they go so far as to tell you what's happening to egg proteins when you stir a batter).

However, I've found some other studies. Here is an article on the topic by the United States Department of Agriculture: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/1999/990910b.htm

Here's a more in-depth article: http://www.oregonblueberry.com/health.html

Now I've got a craving.

I take good notes, keep a calendar and make to do lists for everything. It helps to have a small note pad and pen with you everywhere you go. (This becomes even easier if you have a cell phone or other device that allows you to set up reminders, take notes, etc.) I also like to utilize sticky (Post-It or other brand) notes so I can stick them exactly where I will be reminded of what I need to do in that location. Here's an article on checklists that's pretty fascinating and perhaps helpful... http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12...fa_fact_gawande

I have a very sharp memory and I tend to see those with a poor memory as rationalistic. They seem to not deal with the facts of reality well (if at all). In my estimation, the best way to train and expand your memory is to work in the quick service industry. A good resolution to this problem would be to go get hired at a well-managed, fast-paced McDonald's and work there for several months. Your memory (both short and long term) will improve dramatically.

EDIT: Here's a thought that just occured to me: It may be the case that a poor memory is a mark of a non-integrated thinker. That is to say, that the individual has not fully linked his abstractions to concretes in a consistently logical manner.

Edited by adrock3215

We remember what is important to us. Find a reason to make these things that you seem to forget more important to you, and you will see immediate improvements. Also, always try to stay in focus as much as you can, not letting your mind wonder to other things except what is important to you at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a very sharp memory and I tend to see those with a poor memory as rationalistic. They seem to not deal with the facts of reality well (if at all). In my estimation, the best way to train and expand your memory is to work in the quick service industry. A good resolution to this problem would be to go get hired at a well-managed, fast-paced McDonald's and work there for several months. Your memory (both short and long term) will improve dramatically.

EDIT: Here's a thought that just occured to me: It may be the case that a poor memory is a mark of a non-integrated thinker. That is to say, that the individual has not fully linked his abstractions to concretes in a consistently logical manner.

I was reading this tread and was thinking of responding with just the opposite. :lol:

All of my own memory problems which I can retrace came from not tying my empirical knowledge together into concepts. :)

I'm still learning about it but the objectivity epistemology has really helped me in that regard. :pimp:

A book called 'Tricks of the Mind' by Derren Brown has some very interesting memory techniques in it and really helped me with its method for remembering peoples names. :dough:

Okay, so I tried the whole To Do List. It didn't help me with my memory but it did help me keep on task so I will continue with it. I'll try out that book you recomended. I looked up a book on Amazon with a very high review score, Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It by Kenneth L. Higbee. It sounds good, has anyone else had success with it?