Objectivism Online Forum

Restroom Privacy

Rate this topic

DavidOdden

Restroom Privacy   

67 members have voted

1. 1. How strongly do you prefer sex-segregated restrooms, vs. unisex restrooms

• I prefer sex-segregated restrooms: I am male
    • Neutral, I don't care: I am male
    • I prefer unisex restrooms: I am male
    • I prefer sex-segregated restrooms: I am female
    • Neutral, I don't care: I am female
    • I prefer unisex restrooms: I am female

It probably depends on the specific circumstances, but I think if you add up the amount of floor space and stall infrastructure they save (both by virtue of being more compact and as a result of needing fewer of them thanks to the quicker turnaround times), I could easily imagine that they at least compensate for the cost of the extra wall and door that is required for having separate rooms.

On the other hand there is the ease and cost savings of placing all of your waste water plumbing in one location. Of course there is nothing preventing a common sink area, separate toilet stalls and another stall like enclosure for a number of urinals.

I picked "female - don't care". Honestly I don't really like being in public restrooms with other people around anyway, even if they are all other women. It just weirds me out. I like to do my thing in peace.

I think the best solution may be to have a room-of-stalls/urinals for men, room-of-stalls for women, and a unisex/family/handicapped room with a sink, toilet, and maybe a changing table. I've done a lot of long drives in my day, and a lot of gas stations have just one or two restrooms like the above. This knocks out a lot of issues in one, I think. And if you're trans, or have unusual gender performance, or whatever, such that you'd get weird looks if you went in one of the sex-segregated bathrooms, you can just use the unisex/family/handicapped one. And if you're like me, and don't want to think about three or four strangers in a room with you while you're trying to take care of your business, you can use the unisex/family/handicapped one too LOL

The whole premise of this topic is flawed, but I'll bite.

I wasted my vote based on the presumption that we could simply install single toilet restrooms, ones that anyone of any gender could go into, but only one at a time. Though that didn't seem to be an option here... I don't know why.

So it takes a little extra effort. I don't see what the problem is, especially if we had some one-at-a-time restrooms for the specific purpose of serving those who couldn't be served by the current sex-segregated restrooms.

I picked "female - don't care". Honestly I don't really like being in public restrooms with other people around anyway, even if they are all other women. It just weirds me out. I like to do my thing in peace.

I think the best solution may be to have a room-of-stalls/urinals for men, room-of-stalls for women, and a unisex/family/handicapped room with a sink, toilet, and maybe a changing table. I've done a lot of long drives in my day, and a lot of gas stations have just one or two restrooms like the above. This knocks out a lot of issues in one, I think. And if you're trans, or have unusual gender performance, or whatever, such that you'd get weird looks if you went in one of the sex-segregated bathrooms, you can just use the unisex/family/handicapped one. And if you're like me, and don't want to think about three or four strangers in a room with you while you're trying to take care of your business, you can use the unisex/family/handicapped one too LOL

This is truly the best option. It's something I suggested to the mods here but they apparently didn't understand what I was saying.

Before I vote, I need a clarification. Are you asking about restrooms used by more than one person at a time? If you are, then I prefer restrooms segregated by sex. If you are asking about restrooms used by one person at a time, then I prefer no segregation.

Before I vote, I need a clarification. Are you asking about restrooms used by more than one person at a time? If you are, then I prefer restrooms segregated by sex. If you are asking about restrooms used by one person at a time, then I prefer no segregation.
I am assuming a mass-toilet operation where there will be multiple simultaneous occupants. Something along the lines of an airport, truck stop or a movie theater, with large numbers of customers. This is fundamentally about privacy, especially the extent to which a particular level of privacy is a concern to people. Single-user facilities don't raise such questions, though they do raise questions about whether women object to finding the seat up.

And if you're trans, or have unusual gender performance, or whatever, such that you'd get weird looks if you went in one of the sex-segregated bathrooms, you can just use the unisex/family/handicapped one.
My one objection to "family" toilets is that the would-be rules for proper conduct are quite undefined. As a family man, am I entitled to use the family toilet even when my family is not with me? Is there a good reason why I can't just use them freely? Shouldn't I be entitled to extra privacy? What exactly constitutes a "special need"?

My one objection to "family" toilets is that the would-be rules for proper conduct are quite undefined. As a family man, am I entitled to use the family toilet even when my family is not with me? Is there a good reason why I can't just use them freely? Shouldn't I be entitled to extra privacy? What exactly constitutes a "special need"?

My point was that anyone could use that one. The only time it might be a little incourteous to use it if you don't have a specific reason is if there's a wheelchair-bound person sitting outside or something and it's a handicapped-designated toilet. I'd feel a bit foolish then. But yeah, the point was that anyone who wanted to could use it. Many places, like gas stations, that's the only kind of restroom there is anyway.

I voted for "I prefer sex-segregated restrooms: I am male". For some reason I don't want to be reminded that women aren't completely pure and clean superbeings who don't really need to use the toilet at all. I don't want my extremely romanticized image of them to be threatened, I guess. :P