Objectivism Online Forum

Ridley Scott directing new adaptation of Robin Hood

Rate this topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_(2010_film)

I didn't even know about this until about 10 minutes ago, but I say it's about damn time. Kevin Costner's version was good when I was 8, and I retain a good deal fondness for it, but I'm glad someone is taking on the task of making a serious, historical epic about the legend. And who better than Ridley Scott? Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven are both fantastic movies, so he knows how to do a historical epic. It will be interesting to see how the character is portrayed. Will he be a modern liberal (stealing from the rich to give to the poor) or an outlaw who leads a rebellion against a corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham? I'd bet on the latter.

Now if someone would do a decent adaptation of the Arthur legend, I can die a happy man.

Edited by The Wrath

>>Now if someone would do a decent adaptation of the Arthur legend, I can die a happy man.

What about 'Excalibur' (1981)? Young Liam Neeson, Captain Picard, and the rest put on a fine show. And who could forget the immortal lines: "A dream to some...a NIGHTMARE to others!" OK, there were some cheesy parts, but I loved it at 8 and it still stands the test of time. :P

I agree about Robin Hood, and I hope that Scott takes the latter route you mentioned.

--Dan Edge

>>Now if someone would do a decent adaptation of the Arthur legend, I can die a happy man.

What about 'Excalibur' (1981)? Young Liam Neeson, Captain Picard, and the rest put on a fine show. And who could forget the immortal lines: "A dream to some...a NIGHTMARE to others!" OK, there were some cheesy parts, but I loved it at 8 and it still stands the test of time. :P

I agree about Robin Hood, and I hope that Scott takes the latter route you mentioned.

--Dan Edge

I remember seeing part of Excalibur when I was younger, but don't remember much about it. I'll have to add it to my Netflix queue. Still, it would be nice to see it redone with 21st century production values. I actually liked the Clive Owen version, but that was more about the historical basis for the Arthur legend, rather than the legend itself.