Objectivism Online Forum

State of Play

Rate this topic

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good drama/mystery/thriller. Make sure you get the 6 part BBC version (Netflix is one option) as the 2 hour American version just does not cut it (I did watch the American version after the BBC version). It is intelligently written, the characters are well developed, the mystery unravels in nice little bite-sized chunks (meaning I think the pace of the story is good) and all of the characters struggle with various moral dilemmas throughout the story. I didn't find it to be quite as predictable as many movies are these days, although there are a couple of stereotypical plot elements one might not care for (more than that would be TMI). The only forewarning you might need is listen closely as some of the accents are harder to understand, well at least for some of us Americans.

The basic storyline involves a reporter chasing a story about the apparent suicide of a politician's aide. At one time the reporter was the campaign manager for said politician so he has some personal involvement. The reporter links the aide's death to another seemingly unrelated death and questions whether or not it was a suicide. The rest develops from there.

I haven't seen the series, but I agree, the movie was junk, bad acting from Crowe and Affleck. The story was too much to fit into two hours.

Oh yea, way too much. Every bit of the series tells the story, there isn't really any filler material.