Objectivism Online Forum

The Other Side of the Monkey

Rate this topic

ZSorenson

In another thread I asked what a good replacement for the world 'selfish' when that word is used in the context of someone who is a brute pragmatist. An example: a senior citizen against taxes and big government health care, but is also mad that their medicare benefits are being cut. These are people who want and take only because something is immediately and practically available for having. What these people lack is integrity and perspective. Think of the lawyer who wins the house thief who cuts himself on knives left out on his victims' table a huge settlement.

Well, after much thought, the best I can do is this phrase: 'the other side of the monkey'.

As in: "That guy's from the other side of the monkey." or "She's really thinking from the other side of the monkey."

The idea is that there's the phrase: "Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" It's from the proverbial Three Wise Monkeys. Although wikipedia says I'm thinking of the Western version.

Anyway, the "Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" vacillating man of no integrity is therefore someone not concerned at all with the side of the monkey with the ears, eyes, and mouth. He must then be more concerned with the other side. You know: the opposite of 'top/front'.

Without subtlety: a monkey's ass. Yes, instead of 'selfish' some have proposed 'asshole'; I propose: "Monkey's Ass" because that include the proverbial meaning. But I prefer the sophisticated, subtle, 'other side of the monkey'.

What do you think?

Edited by ZSorenson

I think it's too subtle to understand.

I think this thread should be appended to that other thread, instead of separate.

I think extremely long noun phrases between a verb and the object are hard to understand. Better would have been: "Think of the lawyer who wins a huge settlement for the house thief who cuts himself on knives left out on his victims' table." :lol:

I think it's too subtle to understand.

I think this thread should be appended to that other thread, instead of separate.

Aye. I wanted to think that my invention was important enough to merit its own discussion. I'm not sure how to append, but for what it's worth happily consent to doing so.

It's supposed to be a phrase that requires explaining though. An inside joke that will catch on, if you will...

Edited by ZSorenson