Objectivism Online Forum

Inching Toward Freedom?

Rate this topic

Pericles(MBA)

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything to this. I have been thinking about the speech President Bush did on his 2nd term platform. His goals: tax cuts, continued Iraq occupation, and malpractice reform, seemed very modest for a man who had won "a mandate". I was thinking a better speech would have been to talk about increasing the war on terror, cutting business regulation, and reforming Medicare (ie, shrinking Medicare). He doesn't have to run for office again, so what does he have to lose?

Then I got to thinking that his speech sounded like what I had been hearing from conservatives for years. The old chain about how any reforms must be very small, or they will not be accepted, and how some things cannot be reformed at all. I once knew an otherwise smart, Rand-knowlegeable conservative who was convinced a person was crazy if he mentioned abolishing the IRS. In his mindset there were certain features of the political world that were here to stay, and must be accepted as if they were forces of nature. I believe there may be a philosophic term for such people. Perhaps it is just a symptom of their abdication of ideas in favor of pragmatism. From my participation in discussions with conservatives over the years, I believe that mindset dominates the conservative political view.

It is almost as if the Bush team is arbitrarily moving toward freedom, without a greater plan. Many in his movement, not wanting to talk about the principles, because they are too cynical to believe it possible, others because they do not believe in principles. I don't see how that sort of strategy can have much success. First of all, he is aiming too low. He will have to bargain down when dealing with Congress and public sentiment, so why not start with a high goal? Secondly, I am fully expecting the most lame and populist arguments to appear when he argues for tax cuts and malpractice reform. The battle in Congress will be very loud and long. If they pass genuine malpractice reform I will eat my hat.

And when it comes to the war on terror, it will take a century to finish it unless his approach changes. I am already expecting that the entire 4 years of his term will be spent on Iraq. The withdrawal of our troops starting next year will probably take at least 2 years to accomplish. Then there will be additional financial aid, etc.

Maybe Bush is hoping his in-laws or children can inherit the presidency in another 8 years and pick up where he left off, like the succession of the pharoahs of Egypt. But for those of us who are ambitious for real movement toward capitalism and freedom, this kind of situation is frustrating to watch.

I'm feeling extremely greatful for Objectivists right now.

Glad to have this forum to vent.