Objectivism Online Forum

Question about Atlas Shrugged

Rate this topic

Hello, just registered to ask about something I read in Atlas Shrugged.

Just finished reading the Money Speech, absolutely brilliant btw, but there is a sentence I don't quite understand probably because my English is not 100% great.

"The man who attempts to purchase the brains of his superiors to serve him, with his money replacing his judgment, ends up by becoming the victim of his inferiors."

What exactly Rand means by it? I sort of get what Francisco is saying here but can't quite grasp the exact meaning.

Thanks for help.

To expand upon that a little, it's along the line about a fool and his money being soon parted. If you have no sense of your own and just start throwing money around expecting to solve all your problems that way then you are easily taken advantage of by charlatans because you can't even tell who is a credible authority on some subject and who isn't.

Am I to understand that he's saying, if you expect to just throw money at a problem in hopes of your superiors fixing it, then you will actually attract your inferiors and be taken advantage of?

I'm having trouble where "becoming the victim of his inferiors" comes into play.

Hello, just registered to ask about something I read in Atlas Shrugged.

Just finished reading the Money Speech, absolutely brilliant btw, but there is a sentence I don't quite understand probably because my English is not 100% great.

"The man who attempts to purchase the brains of his superiors to serve him, with his money replacing his judgment, ends up by becoming the victim of his inferiors."

What exactly Rand means by it? I sort of get what Francisco is saying here but can't quite grasp the exact meaning.

Thanks for help.

There was a man I knew who was very wealthy who had a wife who could not read. When he died, his wife had control of the estate. She had accountants take care of the money and did not concern herself with money matters. Before long, the wife was penniless and the accountants had all of the money. She now lives with her eldest son who has his own fortune.