Objectivism Online Forum

Reblogged: Support for Honor Killings in Jordan

Rate this topic

This is horrifying… and fascinating: Third of teens in Amman, Jordan, condone honor killings, study says. Here’s the horrifying part:

Almost half of boys and one in five girls in Jordan’s capital city, Amman, believe that killing a woman who has “dishonored,” or shamed, her family is justifiable, a study of teenagers’ attitudes published Thursday revealed. A third of all teenagers involved in the study by researchers at Britain’s Cambridge University advocated so-called honor murders.

Here’s the fascinating part:

A key finding was that support for honor crimes was not connected to religious beliefs, but is far more likely in adolescent boys with low education backgrounds from traditional families.

It’s easy to blame Islam for honor killings and other atrocities… but it’s not clear to me that such is true or fair. Alas, the case cannot be made by pointing to the violence in the founding of Islam or in its texts. The history and texts of Christianity or Judaism bear little resemblance to the ways that these religions are practiced today.

That’s not to say that I regard Islam in any kind of positive way. My point is simply that I don’t regard it as inherently or inexorably worse than any other religion. Like all religions, it’s influence will run from mildly bad to horrifically awful, depending on the ways in which people choose to attend to, interpret, alter, and apply its ideas.

People have free will, and they exercise it in all kinds of strange and unexpected ways… even with regard to their fundamental religious and philosophical beliefs.

WR105_ExcaliburBanHike_728x90.png
dYw2J4WwfG0

Link to Original

My point is this: if you're an American, you don't have to be a member of the Democratic party, to be influenced by the Progressive movement. All you need to do is not pay too much attention to where you get your political ideas from.

Similarly, being in a Muslim country, you don't have to go to mosque every day to fall under the influence of an Islam dominated culture. Just because some Jordanians who like honor killings aren't overtly devout, doesn't mean Islam is not the system of thought their views trace back to.