Objectivism Online Forum

I Live In LA

Rate this topic

sophia

:lol:

My name is Sophia. I recently came across Ayn Rand's books and visited the Ayn Rand Institute website. I spent a couple of hours reading and gathering information about it. It is extremely interesting. I am a sophomore in highschool - hoping to attend UCLA fall of 2008. Objectivism seems like a subject, however, that I would very much like to take an interest in at the present moment and in the future as well. My email is [email protected].

We should all keep in contact to discuss Objectivism, events, etc.

Sophia B

(Edited title for CAPs - sNerd)

Edited by softwareNerd

Welcome, Sophia. You have already started a study of Objectivism, but I would like to recommend one book in particular: The Ayn Rand Lexicon: Objectivism from A to Z, edited by philosopher Harry Binswanger. He knew Ayn Rand and began developing the lexicon when she was still alive.

The Ayn Rand Lexicon is the most important one-volume source for elements of every branch of Ayn Rand's vast philosophy. You probably know what a lexicon is, but unfortunately most people don't. In the case of ARL, it is an alphabetically arranged selection from Ayn Rand's writings (and those of her foremost student, Leonard Peikoff). You will find topics such as: "Abortion" (the first entry), "Love," and "Zero, Reification of" (the last entry). The selections for some topics are very short, perhaps a single paragraph. Other topics offer several pages of selections.

Each entry names the source in Ayn Rand's writings so that, if you want further information, you can go there.

In the nearly 20 years since ARL was published, I have used my copy thousands of times. Without it, my study of Objectivism would have been much slower and much less productive.

Hi Sophia! What's up? I'm a junior in high school. It's so nice to meet other high schoolers who are interested in Ayn Rand.

What have you read so far of Miss Rand? What part of her philosophy interests you the most? Is there anything that you specifically disagree with?

How's school for you? Sophmore year for me was probably my worst year. (My GPA dropped from a 3.95 to like a 3.8 <_< ) I'm doing much better now that the classes are harder. When the classes are easy, I tend to not pay attention in class, do my homework, study for tests (not that I do anyway :lol:) , etc. So anyway, what subjects are you interested in studying in college or beyond? Have you any idea of what you want to do professionally?

So, what else do you like to do? I play soccer alot, but I love almost anything that you can do outdoors. Skiing, backpacking, hiking, kayaking, climbing, running, fly fishing... well, you get the point.

Anyway, I'd better get going. I have a crazy take home test (two essays) on The Crucible, plus calc and physics tests- all on Monday. :D Doesn't that sound like fun.

Welcome and have fun!

Zak

Hi Sophia -- congrats on the find. My Grandpa had me read Atlas when I was nine. I re-read at 18 and it changed my life. My father and mother are both objectivists and my Dad actually interviewed Rand when he was in college in Wisconsin. It is amazing how her way of looking at things -- which was already yours as well, I am sure -- makes it much more clear.

I got into UCLA -- good school, but went to UCSB. Lawyer now in LA -- you can always email if you need advice. [email protected]

• 4 years later...

Hi there

I just moved to LA (9 months ago) and joined this forum (today)!

I'm an Aussie and I came here to grow a subsidiary of my business in the US.

I live in Los Feliz (between Hollywood and Glendale). I read AS about 7 years ago and have worked my way through most of the mainstream Objectivist BOK.

Hope to participate in some discussions.

Justin

P.S. If I pass you in the traffic, you'll spot my Who is John Galt number-plate frame :P