Objectivism Online Forum

Features You Would Like To See In An OS

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

As some of you might know I plan to develop my own OS one day (possible Linux based, but with the current legal debate over Linux this seems less likely all the time).

I am curious to know what features you think an OS ight benefit from, but to your knowledge no OS has. But if you really want to mention an existing feature you think is vital, that is good too. I will think about this for a little while so that I can give a more comprehensive list of features I would like.

As some of you might know I plan to develop my own OS one day (possible Linux based, but with the current legal debate over Linux this seems less likely all the time).

I am curious to know what features you think an OS ight benefit from, but to your knowledge no OS has.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :D

Why do you want to write an OS?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :D

Why do you want to write an OS?

I want to write my own OS for a number of reasons. Here are some of them in no particular order:

A)As a geeky programmer it would be a fun challenge, and quite fun, although at times I might want to rip my hair out. Its bound to be more than a little frustrating at times, but overall I expect it to be enjoyable.

B)I want to be able to put together an OS that has all the features I want in OS. Sure I could just mess around with an existing OS, but this allows total control of every feature of it.

C)I beleive that I can make an OS that is at least better than some of the similar products out there. it might take me a very long time to do this unless I get some more people to help me work on it, and if I do indeed make a superior product, then all is good.

Of course, until (and if) I get more people to help me, the project wont get too far really. I am presuming that eventually I will find others to help me. The initial version of the OS will be more similar to existing Linux OS (or perhaps some other Unix OS), but I eventually want it to be significiant...