Objectivism Online Forum

The Green Mile

Rate this topic

*** Warning: Minor spoilers on: "The Green Mile" ***

"The Green Mile", starring Tom Hanks is based on a Stephen King book (which I have not read). The movie does not have a coherent theme. One theme is: "Life on death row". There is no larger, political pro- or anti-death penalty message. Indeed, the plot hardly addresses the theme. Another theme is: "The importance of faith". Once again, the plot presents things more as factual than as requiring faith. One of the main characters mumbles some type of moral message near the end of the movie. I could not make out what he said, and didn't bother listening again because action speaks louder than dialog; and, the action had not spoken. The botom-line is that the movie does not present a coherent and unified theme.

The movie has a far-fetched premise. A man on death row seems to have the power to heal by the "laying on of hands". On the face of it, this is not more far-fetched than your average fantasy movie. Yet, not expecting it, and seeing it in the context of what I thought was going to be a non-fantasy movie, I was taken by surprise: "Oh, Come on!" Still, granting that premise, it is interesting to see how the characters act on it. Jailer Paul Edgecomb (Hanks) thinks he has strong evidence that this man is a healer. A friend's wife has a brain tumor. What to do about it? Should he take a huge risk that might mean not just losing his job but going to jail himself?

The plot kept me interested. I realized that the movie was not going to be a series of random far-fetched occurrences. I was convinced enough to suspend disbelief, grant the limited crazy premise, and wonder how it would all turn out. It was well-executed movie. The characterization was good. (The use of a mouse was a clever device -- a mouse can move freely from cell to cell in a prison. ) Overall, I'd rate it about 6 out of 10.

In the end it was a well-executed movie with no great theme or message. The execution got me interested in the director, Frank Darabont. Turns out, he has directed one of my favorites: Shawshank Redemption. I'd expect him to do really well with a good script. He's now directing a movie version of Ray Bradbury's famous Fahrenheit 451; that ought to be good. Another movie he directed is "The Majestic". The premise sounds interesting: what if you could lead someone else's life? Not sure about Jim Carrey in that role though. I intend to check that one out.

• 1 month later...

I think one of the more important things that was in the book that you might have missed watching the movie is the fact that although Tom Hanks' character thinks/knows that the healer is innocent, he still has respect for the process of the law and to his job as a jailgaurd. He knows this man should be free, and that he should not die, but he knows it would be wrong for him to set him free even though he had the chance after he healed his friend's wife. He stuck to his principles, even though it killed him inside to do so. I think after that he quits as a gaurd. I'm not saying this is an uplifting theme, but i think it is a theme that is the most profound.

If Tom Hanks' character knows that the man should be free, how can him going through with the execution be considered sticking to his principles?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that it killed him inside to do so. This is correct, but it only killed him on the inside because he chose the wrong principles. If one chooses the right principles in life, they will ever kill him on the inside. Perhaps someone may kill you on the outside, but that's a different story.

*** Spoilers ***

Did I miss this in the movie or was it not there? From what I remember, Hanks only realized the guy's innocence after he had taken him out and brought him back. I might be remembering that wrong. In any case, I don't remember the idea of letting him go ever occurring to Hanks. Indeed, it appeared that if allowed, the guy would have said something like: "No boss. I need to get back. If you let me go, I'll turn myself in anyway, boss."

More spoilers ahead...

Paul (Hanks' character) suspects John's inncocence relatively early on in the movie, long before he actually takes him out. First, he goes to see John's lawyer to ask about his history. Also, when he proposes the plan to take John out of the prison to his fellow guards he says something like, "I do not see God putting a power like that in the hands of a murderer." I think this was necessary to make taking John out of the prison seem believeable. An audience ought to have a difficult time accepting that a guard would take a chance like that with a prisoner he believed to be guilty. It is true that only after they take him out does John "share" with Paul Wild Bill's memories of the crime for which John will be executed.

Near the end of the movie, shortly before John's execution, there's a scene where Paul asks John whether he wants to be let go. John refuses and explains that it woudl be "a kindness" to execute him, since his life is filled with pain, in part because of the psychic abilities that go along with his healing powers. Make of that what you will.

I read the book after I saw the movie, one of the very few times I've actually done so, and I don't recall there being much difference: the movie was almost a literal filming of the book. A few elements were added: the song "Cheek to Cheek" and the character of Paul's friend in the retirement home, to whom he relates the story were added in the film. Of course there were some omissions as well, but they were minor.

Edited by Evangelical Capitalist

Near the end of the movie, shortly before John's execution, there's a scene where Paul asks John whether he wants to be let go.
Ah yes! I remember that part (I was previously thinking only of the time he took him out.) Thanks for reminding me.

I think that scene vidicates Hanks -- he offered.

I remember thinking that the miracle-man was quite Christ-like in taking on the suffering of others and dying for their sins.

I liked this movie very much, but there was one thing that bothered me. In the end of the movie, when the old man is telling the woman the whole story, he shows her that Mr. Jinks is still alive (the mouse is 80 years old or something). He also revealed that he was also unnaturally old and said that his long life was his punishment for destroying one of God's miracles. Maybe I'm being too picky but it really irritated me that he would view a really long life as a punishment. It seems like a downer to end the movie with something good being viewed as something bad...Did anyone else notice that?

I liked this movie very much, but there was one thing that bothered me. In the end of the movie, when the old man is telling the woman the whole story, he shows her that Mr. Jinks is still alive (the mouse is 80 years old or something). He also revealed that he was also unnaturally old and said that his long life was his punishment for destroying one of God's miracles. Maybe I'm being too picky but it really irritated me that he would view a really long life as a punishment. It seems like a downer to end the movie with something good being viewed as something bad...Did anyone else notice that?

If I ever become incredibly old to the point where I am no longer able to enjoy life, then I think I'll be able to sympathize with that sentiment. If I live to be 120, I'm not really gonna be hoping to go on much longer, given the probable state of my health.

The "punishment" he recieved from living that old is to have to survive all the people he loved. It must be incredibly lonely and sad to watch ALL of your friends, family, and loved ones die off (even your sons and daughters)

I'm sure that would be lonely. But I just don't see any situation where I would actually want to die like he does. It would be lonely, sure, but does that cause enough emotional pain to want to die? Personally, I would say no, but that's just me...