Objectivism Online Forum

Young People In Iran

Rate this topic

• 1 month later...
That's really encouraging. :confused: The way they speak so freely, it makes you wonder what is really going on over there.

Well, like they said....with such a large population of younger folk...the government can't afford to lose their support. If we want to hurt Iran...that's where we need to hit them. Take their young, metaphorically, away from them.

Well, like they said....with such a large population of younger folk...the government can't afford to lose their support. If we want to hurt Iran...that's where we need to hit them. Take their young, metaphorically, away from them.
I have this optimistic streak in me when it comes to Iran, and yet... I also remember that the Islamist revolution that installed the current theocracy over 25 years ago was a youth movement; and "the support of the young" matters only in a democratic society, which Iran is not. Not only are elections not free and open (excluding "unacceptable" candidates is SOP), but the youth largely boycotted the last elections when Satan was elected. It would be interesting, though, to do a follow-up to see what becomes of some of those kids -- how many of them are arrested or killed by Vevak in the next month or year as a consequence of speaking against the government. Perhaps in 50 years when those now in power are gone and these youth are in charge of Iran, things will change, as long as the youth keep hold of their ideal of freedom. The situation since June has gotten vastly worse, and my analysis of the situation is that a significant economic downturn that was attributable to the present Iranian government could be the most effective weapon for political change.

I have this optimistic streak in me when it comes to Iran, and yet... I also remember that the Islamist revolution that installed the current theocracy over 25 years ago was a youth movement; and "the support of the young" matters only in a democratic society, which Iran is not. Not only are elections not free and open (excluding "unacceptable" candidates is SOP), but the youth largely boycotted the last elections when Satan was elected. It would be interesting, though, to do a follow-up to see what becomes of some of those kids -- how many of them are arrested or killed by Vevak in the next month or year as a consequence of speaking against the government. Perhaps in 50 years when those now in power are gone and these youth are in charge of Iran, things will change, as long as the youth keep hold of their ideal of freedom. The situation since June has gotten vastly worse, and my analysis of the situation is that a significant economic downturn that was attributable to the present Iranian government could be the most effective weapon for political change.

I would agree with that. It seems such a shame too. I imagine it must be close to IMPOSSIBLE to even start anything resembling organized that could possibly further their cause. That, and it seems almost paradoxal that one should have to fight and, possibly die, just to have some fun and freedom (in terms of the video.) For them, it comes down to "I really like this kind of fun, and I would like more freedoms, but I'm not sure I'm willing to die for it, yet." It makes you wonder where the line is. On the other hand, I've often wondered the same thing about christians.

Edited by Styles2112

I imagine it must be close to IMPOSSIBLE to even start anything resembling organized that could possibly further their cause.
Something unorganized is workable. Change the epistemology of one Iranian youth, and he may spread that to 5 others. Admittedly, there's a reasonable chance that the youth's epistemological awakening will result in him not going back, but maybe...

I hope the young people in Iran don't wait too long to push for change.

Iran's hard-line Islamic spiritual leaders have issued an unprecedented fatwa, or holy order, approving the use of atomic weapons against the country's enemies.

Muslim clerics for the first time have questioned the theocracy's traditional viewpoint that Shariah law forbids the use of nuclear weapons.

http://insider.washingtontimes.com/article...18-115245-5182r

That's really encouraging. :yarr: The way they speak so freely, it makes you wonder what is really going on over there.

I think that is part of the reason why the rulers over there are saying the things that they are and openly trying to provoke a confrontation with the USA. I think they realize if they don't act that their days are numbered. A war will deflect some of the attention away from domestic troubles and, if they win, it will certainly strengthen their hand at home. And I think they have come to the conclusion that they might be able to win a war because they will have a steadfast ally in the United States operating on their behalf at all times: the American Left. All they have to do is create some sort of stalemate situation and wait for a negotiated peace. That is, thanks to the Left, if the Bush Administration even has the stomach to go to war again in the first place.

I think the mullahs realize that their hand is as strong right now as it will ever be and they are trying to play it accordingly. What makes such people very dangerous is they are of the mindset that, if they can't be in charge, they would rather be dead and take everyone else along with them. In a way, that is a similar mindset that the Left in this country has: they would rather have an emasculated America with them calling the shots than a thriving and prosperous American with them permanently out of power. And they too, know, that their days are numbered unless desperate measures are taken. That is why they are natural allies. Both camps are ultimately doomed in the long term. But in the short term, they are highly dangerous and have to be taken out.