Objectivism Online Forum

Kobe Bryant "embarrassed" By Historic Performance

Rate this topic

Groovenstein

For those of you who don't follow the sports world, the LA Lakers' Kobe Bryant put up 81 points in a game two Sundays ago. That total is second only to Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point bomb many years ago. From that link, here a couple comments he made: "I was just determined. I was just locked in, tuned into what was going on out there . . . . These points tonight mattered. We needed them. The points I put in the basket were instrumental. It means a lot more." Great, he's saying he did well and is happy they won the game. Awesome.

Well, now he sings a little different tune: "I'm a little bit embarrassed actually . . . . I think it's exciting for the game and the organization because of all the buzz, but personally it's a little embarrassing. . . . I'd much rather go out and score 25 points and get 10 assists and see everybody in a rhythm, everybody in a groove." Now it's embarrassing? It's one thing to say what he did in the last sentence, which amounts to, "The game is more fun for me when I score and my teammates are more involved." That's fine. Hell, maybe it's fun to pass the ball around sometimes. But to say it's embarrassing to have an exceptional performance against many of the best basketball players in the world? Come on, man.

For those of you who don't follow the sports world, the LA Lakers' Kobe Bryant put up 81 points in a game two Sundays ago. That total is second only to Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point bomb many years ago. From that link, here a couple comments he made: "I was just determined. I was just locked in, tuned into what was going on out there . . . . These points tonight mattered. We needed them. The points I put in the basket were instrumental. It means a lot more." Great, he's saying he did well and is happy they won the game. Awesome.

Well, now he sings a little different tune: "I'm a little bit embarrassed actually . . . . I think it's exciting for the game and the organization because of all the buzz, but personally it's a little embarrassing. . . . I'd much rather go out and score 25 points and get 10 assists and see everybody in a rhythm, everybody in a groove." Now it's embarrassing? It's one thing to say what he did in the last sentence, which amounts to, "The game is more fun for me when I score and my teammates are more involved." That's fine. Hell, maybe it's fun to pass the ball around sometimes. But to say it's embarrassing to have an exceptional performance against many of the best basketball players in the world? Come on, man.

I think Kobe is probably inarticulate, but probably not as bad necessarily as one might think. Kobe's 80 point game or Wilts 100 point game are anomolies. I think Kobe was trying to be like, "Look...it was cool and all...but overall performance and TEAM performance are more indicative of good trends when it comes to evaluating athletes." I would bet that saying "embarassed" is Kobe's way of saying, "the focus and attention are makin' me a bit uncomfortable here." Why would he say that? Well...you want to be known for your season long performance. You also want to be known for staying a top player and not just having one phenomenal game. Michael Jordan never had a game like Kobe's...but check out his stats and they are beyond impressive. Kobe wants to be remembered like MJ over the long haul and not just as a guy getting hype for ONE good game. Kobe is known for being one heck of a basketball player overall, so he probably wants the media to focus on THAT and not just a game that was probably a once in a lifetime thing (not something that he has a pattern of doing, obviously).

I'm doubting that Kobe meant "embarassed" in the sense that he wished he hadn't HAD that 80 point game. He is probably just embarassed about the hype and the media focus. Can you REALLY blame him?

Also...keep in mind that the guy is an ATHLETE. He isn't a philosopher or a professional speaker. People in the general population aren't as exacting when it comes to using precise language or being articulate. That is a BAD thing, but sometimes people say stupid stuff when put on the spot by a cameraman and a news anchor. It happens.

I know I'm speculating as to how Kobe meant what he said and I'm not trying to offer my interpretation as definitive. In fact, maybe Kobe DID mean that he wished that he hadn't have stood out so much (in which case... shame on him!). I just don't think that the implications of some off the cuff remarks from a possibly inarticulate athlete during some random interview (in which he might not have thought through the full implications of his word choice) are necessarily as damning as one might initially think.

Edited by Evan

I saw that google video (video.google.com) is selling this game and since I didn't see it I can hardly wait to watch what I am sure if a fantastic performance. On a personal note I want to say that I really don't like Kobe simply because he always seems cocky and while I have to admit even before the 81 points he was one of the best playing I don't think he is good enough to be that cocky.

As far as the comment goes I can only see that he would feel embarrassed because he felt he "shouldn't" have been that "selfish" with the ball. I mean you can't score 81 every game but when your teammates are mediocre you have to be willing to take the ball. I guess I will have to watch to game to see if it was him being a ball hog or him just playing terrific.

Really scoring 81 as a "give me the ball every time down the court" isn't super impressive but if he played super well, well that is.

I think Kobe is probably inarticulate...
Not in the least actually, but I do agree with you about his motives for saying he was "embarassed."

He was probably more focused on next game and how best to continue his quest for another championship by the time of his statement. I imagine he looks back or will look back on the performance as a spectacular one though.