Objectivism Online Forum

Crime Rates

Rate this topic

Old Geezer

When I want a source for comparative stats between different countries, I go to:

www.nationmaster.com

(edited due to serious blunder on MY part, sorry)

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_tot_cri_cap

Granted, the US is high on the list, but UK beats it out as well as Finland and Denmark, with the Netherlands, Germany, Norway and France nipping at the US's heels.

(edited due to serious blunder on MY part, sorry)

Now if we look at Murders per capita, we are RELATIVELY high on the list compared to the UK (and most European countries), but only .04 per 1000 as opposed to .01 per 1000 in actual numbers.

In Assaults per capita, we are much closer at 7.7 per 1000 (US) vs. 7.5 per 1000 (UK).

There's a lot more comparative information on that web site for those interested in perusing.

VES

That website happens to be a good indicator of why “crime rates” are not a valid indicator of the actual crime levels in a country. According to nationmaster.com, the crime rates in America are four times those of Russia. Obviously, the reality is opposite, but official statistics are based on reported rather than actual rates of crime. Since the rate of reported crime is inversely related to criminal activity, statistics based on reported crime rates are deeply flawed.

In reality, I suspect that the US is one of the safest nations on the planet in terms of criminal activity, and THE safest in terms of initiation force against citizens, if we include the government.

The more control crime has over an area, the less likely that there are honest people to report a crime, and the less likely that those honest people will be safe in doing so.  So, the more crime there is, the more it becomes unlikely that any given crime will be reported.

Or, from a positive perspective, the more effective the police is in punishing criminals, the more likely it is that crimes will be reported.

Or, from a positive perspective, the more effective the police is in punishing criminals, the more likely it is that crimes will be reported.

GC, with the exception of the FBI run Uniform Crime Report, many of the other major crime statistics reflect self-report questions, (Have you been raped in the last year?) etc.

Do you see a reason why Crime Victimization surveys would reflect a difference?

GC, with the exception of the FBI run Uniform Crime Report,  many of the other major crime statistics reflect self-report questions, (Have you been raped in the last year?) etc.

Do you see a reason why Crime Victimization surveys would reflect a difference?

A. The statistical comparison above is not based on self-reporting.

B. Self reporting statistics can be even more biased than official crime reports. How many valid self-reports do you expect from Russia, Nigeria or Rwanda, or the various lobbying groups that usually produce them?

Even in civilized countries, the self-reports can be widely skewed. Are you familiar with the infamous “one in four college-age women has been raped” statistics? The actual survey question asked was something liked “have you ever felt threatened by a man?”

• 2 weeks later...