Objectivism Online Forum

Hobbies

Rate this topic

I don't get it. Why do you need a few ideas from others to find yourself a hobby?
There are a billion things out there to do, and someone else may have thought up something you would have never dreamed of, but that you nevertheless would still enjoy. Google people hang-glide-surfing to get a personal example for me. Looks fun as hell, but I would have never thought of it.

Konerko, I guess you're already into exercising and sports based on your quotes, but I like biking on the road. You can get an adequate road bike for around 700 bucks, which I would suggest anyway since you don't know if you like it yet. I think mountain biking sounds awesome, too, but I haven't tried it yet. With most lesser-known sports you can find groups of people who already get together for it, via the web, and they're always willing to help new people out. Kayaking is fun.

I don't know the kind of time you're planning on devoting to the hobby, but learning an instrument is fun and rewarding. Drawing is too.

I am looking to fill some downtime of mine with a new hobby. If you would like, list some of your favorite hobbies so I can get a few ideas. Thanks.

Writing poetry, playing guitar, trying to learn to read piano sheet music, memorizing mathematical formulas, learning a second language (books on tape/cd allow you to take this kind of hobby with you on otherwise non-productive car trips!), painting, dancing...

• 3 weeks later...

While all the above ideas are good (if not generally ones I myself engage in much), I personally enjoy programming as a hobby. I like writing smaller programs as mental exercises now and again (as well as working on some of the bigger ongoing programs I am working on like my game), as that can be a really good exercise in problem solving/abstraction and that way I build up a nice little set of little applets I can use for various things (such as the one I made to replace the limited Windows run dialog box).

• 3 weeks later...

I find that the best hobbies are the ones where you're learning something. Especially if by learning you are also developing marketable skills (for example, teaching yourself a new computer program.) This makes a good hobby because learning is a key component of "fun", and the hobby is satisfying because it is contributing to your earning ability or may contribute to it in the future.