Objectivism Online Forum

Intelligent Romantic movies! For Both Intelligent Guys and Chicks&

Rate this topic

Here are six top favorite romantic movies not to miss—especially if you are a die-hard romantic like me (I confess, I confess!) Mind you, I hate most of the so-called “romantic movies” as most are unbearably maudlin or formulaic.

So I want to introduce and suggest what I believe to be the exception. (Fret not, guys, these are not “chick flicks”—so cut the macho posturing and rent one of these movies and watch it with the lady in your life).

These movies are truly heart-warming, intelligent and plot-driven and therefore break with the usual lameness of the genre.

Please, please feel free to add to my list. Let us know why you love the movie(s) you have selected.

Here are a few of mine:

1, City Lights

2, Marty

3, When Harry met Sally

4, The apartment

5, Walk the Line

6, Notting Hill

Shaun of the Dead is a romantic comedy (with zombies). That's a fantastic example of how you can actually show a real relationship any the issues raised, all wrapped up in a comedy (with zombies). It's heart warming and life affirming and all sorts of buzz words to fit the Romantic Manifesto! :thumbsup:

The Notebook

Good Will Hunting

Pearl Harbour

Bridges of Madison County

Love Affair (Beatty/Benning)

Bugsy

Far and Away

Love Actually

Meet Joe Black

Legends of the Fall

Carlito's Way

White Palace

A Knight's Tale

All The Pretty Horses

Havana

I'll be back,

Jose.

^I'll be picking that up tonight along with Wedding Crashers. I think Wedding Crashers looks stupid, but my sister insists that it's funny.

Americo,

I absolutely loved All the Pretty Horses, but I didn't consider it primarily a romantic movie, rather a movie about self discovery. I've been meaning to check out that book.

THAT is the funniest movie you've seen since Office Space? That movie can't even compare to Office Space. It was an OK movie, but not as funny as what I would have expected from Steve Carell. Have you seen Anchorman?

THAT is the funniest movie you've seen since Office Space? That movie can't even compare to Office Space. It was an OK movie, but not as funny as what I would have expected from Steve Carell. Have you seen Anchorman?

The reason Office Space was so great was because, on top of being funny, the characters felt like and react like real people. The situations, while absurd, were completely believable. I liked The 40 Year Old Virgin for those exact same reasons.

Will Farrell movies, like old Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler flicks, are funny because of the gags and the one liners. Their main characters generally so far outside of the norm as to make it impossible to really identify with them. It simply doesn't tug on the heart strings the way the former movies does.

Personally I like those rare comedies that not only make me laugh out loud, but also make me smile in between jokes.

^I can't really argue with that, I suppose. It does make a comedy/comedian much funnier when one can relate to them, but I think that there is a level of that even in the most absurd Will Ferrell movies.

Anyhow, I just saw Wedding Crashers, and I think that it should be added to the list for sure. It was WAY better than I expected and it turned out to be a romantic movie as well. Absolutely hilarious and touching, which is rare (and hey, Will Ferrell makes an appearance).

^I can't really argue with that, I suppose. It does make a comedy/comedian much funnier when one can relate to them, but I think that there is a level of that even in the most absurd Will Ferrell movies.

Anyhow, I just saw Wedding Crashers, and I think that it should be added to the list for sure. It was WAY better than I expected and it turned out to be a romantic movie as well. Absolutely hilarious and touching, which is rare (and hey, Will Ferrell makes an appearance).

You want funny and touching? Try CITY LIGHTS. :P

I thought only about 50% of the jokes in The Wedding Crashers. In between the jokes though Rachel McAdams and Christopher Walkens were imminently watchable.

A much funnier Will Ferrell support role was Frank the Tank in Old School -- it was friggin' hilarious. That's the thing about Will Ferrell though -- I only think him funny in stretches. That's why to me he's always completely awesome with small roles, but found wanting when he's the lead actor. The one exception being Stranger Than Fiction, where he began to show that he actually has some dramatic chops.