Objectivism Online Forum

Motorcycle licence upgrade

Rate this topic

Today I undertook the advanced motorcycle safety course and skills test. I passed it with the only flaw being a foot down during tight figure-eights. That was annoying because I went through all the practice runs without doing that :( For my own benefit I'll be doing more figure-eights until I am more confident in it.

My actual main worry was going through a tight S channel, but I got through that without drama. The other tests were stopping from 30kph to 0 in less than 11 metres upon sudden command to do so, weaving through tennis ball halves without running over any, and driving really slow down a narrow straight channel in no less than 15 seconds. I did it in 17, but there was this South African guy who did it in 24 seconds! The instructors were impressed. It turns out he's an old hand and just needed to do the tests to convert his South African licence into a South Australian licence :thumbsup:

I am now entitled to go to Transport SA to get my advanced motorcycle licence and then switch my L-plate around to a P-plate. After that I wait one year and I get my unrestricted licence and not have to tack plates onto my bike at all!

JJM

Congratulations! Our licensing system is somewhat different here, and likely easier, but I highly encourage other riders and prospective riders I know to take MSF safety courses. I took my wife and son through the motorcycle safety course here last year. We all passed.

What is the difference between L plates and P plates?

Congratulations! Our licensing system is somewhat different here, and likely easier, but I highly encourage other riders and prospective riders I know to take MSF safety courses.

Thank you! Some of the videos we watched were US productions from the 80's, such as Murphy's Law and the SIPDE presentation, which I think were made by the MSF. The rest were specifically Australian.

What is the difference between L plates and P plates?

On motorcycles, both learner and probationary riders are limited to bikes with 150kw per ton PWR maximum. This mostly means 250cc maximum, but recently some bikes up to 600cc were included in an allowed list. The other similarity is 0 BAC (the state limit for full licence holders is 0.05).

The first difference between the two is that learner rider can only carry pillion passengers who are themselves fully licenced riders with two or more years experience riding, whereas a probationary rider can carry anyone. The second difference is that learners are limited to 80kph (about 50mph) maximum while probationary riders can now ride up to roads' own speed limits (which is up to 110kph on SA highways - about 68mph).

That's SA. I don't know what the other states' laws are but the details of general road rules are almost identical except for specific situations unique to each state. I do know that speed limits are different. Only SA has up to 110, whereas all the other states have 100 as the maximum. The Northern Territory has no limit at all on some roads.

JJM

I went through the whole safety course, passed, then never went and got my license. My husband usually drives the Harley anyway, but it's frustrating because now they probably won't take my 6 year old certificate. :(