Objectivism Online Forum

"The Jerusalem Post" about Ayn Rand and Objectivism in Israe

Rate this topic

AlexL

[A proffesor at Tel Aviv University would...] rather teach someone like Khalil Jibran, a Lebanese-born inspirational philosopher. "He's much more friendly; I just like him more, but I wouldn't teach him either." He adds that Rand's philosophy is generally easy to study independently and doesn't require a university course.

That last sentence made me laugh, in a sad sort of a way. The last paragraph made me smile though:

He related how he recently received a call from an elderly lady who said she was a fan of Ayn Rand. "She never knew there was any activity related to Ayn Rand, whom she always liked since she was young. I'm sure there are many more like her around."

There's hope there, people who care and want to live for themselves. It's not going to just take time, but a lot of effort to get the ideas advertised properly there. From what I've heard though, the youth there are very stubborn (aren't we all :)) and unwilling to listen to stuff contrary to their parents ideas. However, in Tel Aviv especially, I think they're seeing the benefits Western values bring, and I think it should pave the way for a spread of healthy, rational philosophy in general, before Objectivism finally catches on in any serious form.