Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Microtubules, Quantum and Indeterminism

Solvreven
    By Solvreven,
    So I'm not sure how many in this forum has seen this update. There might be some evidence that suggests that conciousness is created by something called microtubules. At the same time the study shows that the brain uses Quantum Effects that as far as we know are indetermined. This does not prove that we have free will, but it ties a theory between Quantum Mechanics and Metaphysics. Hope this could be interesting for more people here. Here's a video:    

Coming Fall of Chevron Doctrine?

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    SCOTUSblog CATO Institute

What are the best e-book editions of "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" that I can buy?

The Laws of Biology
    By The Laws of Biology,
    What makes any e-book edition superior? In my view, these features make an e-book edition superior: Easy to add highlight marking to the text. Possible to electronically copy all or much of the text, for private use only. I see that both "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" are available in Kindle e-book format, for sale on Amazon. But I haven't liked Kindle in the past. It seems to forbid or severely limiting electronical copying and pasting.  Also, what is the best onlin

The Cultural Impact of Bad Monetary Policies: Beyond Inflation

rohintest
    By rohintest,
    Hello Objectivists! I've recently written an article exploring the often overlooked cultural impacts of bad monetary policies. While the immediate effects, like inflation, are well-documented, the long-term cultural consequences are equally significant and concerning. In this article, I delve into how unrestrained money printing and low-interest loans distort corporate culture, stifle innovation, and degrade customer service quality. The piece also examines the broader societal implica

What Has the 'Pro-Life' Movement Won?

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    What Has the Pro-Life Movement Won? by Ross Douthat - 2 April 2021 Excellent review of what it has come to in the US. Legally and politically well-informed. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Content of Roe and a Moral Rationale

Prescriptions for a Rationalist

HowardRoarkSpaceDetective
    By HowardRoarkSpaceDetective,
    Rationalists of OOF, (recovered rationalists, that is) What did you start doing differently? Or what made things click? Or what did you decide to accept that you really didn't want to? Since discovering the Fountainhead during COVID, I've become all but fluent in Objectivism-as-a-system-of-thought. I keep getting the sense that I'm so close to hitting on the core of what I'm doing to keep myself from being happier and more productive, but every time I think I've found something fu

Zero-Sum Reasoning

HowardRoarkSpaceDetective
    By HowardRoarkSpaceDetective,
    In discussing economics (broadly), there's always that famous zero-sum vs. positive-sum dichotomy (negative-sum, too, but it's not as relevant to free-market operations). I'm having trouble getting my mind around the proper way of thinking about where each stops and starts. Obviously, leftism exaggerates the zero-sum aspects of capitalism, but it would also be wrong to say that there are no zero-sum games in capitalism whatsoever. In terms of wealth in the long-term, I agree with Rand that "ther

Reblogged:The Impotence of 'Owning' Trump

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    Over at Sp!ked, Jenny Holland offers the kind of level-headed assessment of the legally dubious Trump hush money verdict that is impossible to get from American media, which is almost all blindly angry at Trump, or blindly loyal to him:Earlier, Holland notes that "there are plenty of legitimate reasons not to want [Trump] anywhere near the White House again." Among these are the legitimate prosecutions the Democrats should have taken up years ago, and which will now be undermined if they ever s

Economic Libertarian President at Work in Argentina

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    Milei's First Six Months

About the Russian aggression of Ukraine

AlexL
    By AlexL,
    An analysis of John Mearsheimer's position, which is: "it is not Putin but the West, especially the U.S., that’s principally responsible for this disaster. The Ukraine Crisis Is the West’s Fault.” The analysis continues:   Read here the full analysis.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS