Systematic Slaughter Of Animals

Animals are sentient beings - they have the ability to feel pain, to feel emotion.. they have self interest, and can be anthropomorphised.

So.. why do we slaughter them?

It’s barbarous, unnecessary, and not justifiable.

“why do we slaughter them?”

We who? I recommend a change of neighborhoods :slight_smile:

It’s barbarous, unnecessary, and not justifiable.

If you’re trying to make a case for animal rights, you’ll have to do better than that.

Animals are sentient beings - they have the ability to feel pain, to feel emotion.. they have self interest, and can be anthropomorphised.

So.. why do we slaughter them?

It’s barbarous, unnecessary, and not justifiable.

Because it is more humane than throwing them on the grill alive.

If you’re trying to make a case for animal rights, you’ll have to do better than that.

Fine - have a few hours? Pft.

Because it is more humane than throwing them on the grill alive.

Been to a factory farm lately?

Actually - I hear that in Japan they do just that: cook them alive. I say: if it tastes better - why not?

As for animals rights - this is a contradiction in terms, but I for one would like to hear the full argument for it. How do animal rights activists define rights? Where do rights come from? And how do animal rights fit together with human rights?

Animals are sentient beings - they have the ability to feel pain, to feel emotion.. they have self interest, and can be anthropomorphised.

So.. why do we slaughter them?

It’s barbarous, unnecessary, and not justifiable.

I should bring you to court for all the pain and suffering you’ve inflicted on those poor insects you’ve crush and/or killed with pesticides. In fact, you should be crush with boulders for crushing those poor cockroaches with your foot. How barbaric, unnecessary and immoral of you!


On a more serious note, we slaughter them because they’re either 1) a nuisance who stand in the way of progress, or 2) good enough to eat. :slight_smile:

To clarify one thing: murder has a specific (legal) definition. The unlawful killing of a human by another human with malice aforethought. Therefore, one cannot murder animals.

VES

Been to a factory farm lately?

No, I buy my meat from the grocery store. :slight_smile:

VES

RationalCop - You should try butcher shops, the meat is fresher and often better quality.


When an animal (tasty animal) speaks to me, then i will consider not killing it for food. Until that time they are raised in most cases for the only perpose but to feed me. If I(nobody) didn’t eat them then they would not have been born in the first place.

Need i remind anybody what this world would be like if we held animal rights above human right, like the kook lefties want?

All i need say is India, they let monkeys take over towns because it is illegal or something to kill them.

Let me tell you, i say pave the earth. On a more realitsic note, only humans have rights, animals are either property, pests, or dead.

Because it is more humane than throwing them on the grill alive.

I understand that for many mammals, physical exertion and/or stress tends to release hormones which spoil the taste. In the case of shellfish however, cooking alive is the best way, while fish should be cleaned immediately and thrown onto the grill still twitching. Yum!

RationalCop  - You should try butcher shops, the meat is fresher and often better quality.

I’m not even aware of any butcher shop in my area. I’m not saying there aren’t any, but I don’t recall ever seeing or hearing of one where I live. I’ll look into that though.

In the words of the immortal Timon and Pumba:

“What’s eatin’ him?”

“Nuthin’! He’s at the top of the food chain.”

VES

Animals are sentient beings - they have the ability to feel pain, to feel emotion.. they have self interest, and can be anthropomorphised.

So.. why do we slaughter them?

It’s barbarous, unnecessary, and not justifiable.

Don’t slaughter them then, I don’t care what you do. Just leave me out of it. If you are going to try to persuade everyone to stop eating meat you’re fighting a losing battle.

Fine - have a few hours? Pft.

Been to a factory farm lately?

Yes, I have dozens of them. So, start the argument, and it better be better than Pft; is that a farting sound or something?

I saw cows being butchered in the famous Faces of Death video years ago. Cow gets throat slit, bleeds down the line, next cow, so what? I make my living cooking animal meat. I’ve probably cooked enough cow to fill the state of Texas. Cow, chicken, pig, turkey, tuna, octopus. You name it, I served it to ya!

“If we’re not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?”

(Homer Simpson I think)

To give a semi-serious answer, animals don’t have rights so it is not unethical to kill them. I think it would be unethical to torture an animal, but only because it would mean you enjoy inflicting pain, which would be a sign of very bad values.

Animals do not think. They are not conscious of themselves. They cannot make rational decisions. An animal who could do that would not be an animal. Therefore rights are not applicable to animals.

BTW, following that line of logic, bacteria are single-celled animals. We kill millions everyday. Isn’t it barbarous to kill them then if it is barbarous to kill multicellular animals?

Animals are sentient beings - they have the ability to feel pain, to feel emotion.. they have self interest, and can be anthropomorphised.

So.. why do we slaughter them?

It’s barbarous, unnecessary, and not justifiable.

Barbarous? Unnecessary? Not justifiable?

By what ethical standard? Lesser animals aren’t humans, and only humans have any rights. The ability to process pain isn’t anything noteworthy, any being with a primitive brain can claim that (if they could all talk). The instinct to survive is the base point of all organic life, plants included, and that is the only respect in which lesser animals can be said to be self-interested. By this standard all vegetable and fruit life cannot be consumed, because it to is “self-interested” and has also been barbarously slaughtered.

Killing animals is necessary because they can’t be properly processed for eating unless they are dead, unless you know of a way to pull out a chicken’s feathers and cut it apart and eat it without killing it (the same applies to all animals that are eaten). Human beings are omnivorous, meat is a fundamental part of the human diet, if it weren’t we wouldn’t be able to chew it, digest it, crave it, or swallow it. It would be anathema to us as a species, which it clearly is not.

I would suggest you take your uninformed and goofy “ideas” somewhere where they will be appreciated, i.e. a farm or petting zoo.

This must have been someones idea of a PETA hazing for a new member. Walk into a forum on Objectivism and try to convince people animals have rights. :dough:

VES

Speaking of PETA, i want this hat:

Here’s one of the best pieces I’ve ever read on the subject:

http://www.mises.org/freemarket_detail.asp…rder=authorlast