I was thinking last night and figured out, my three favorite soundtracks are: Final Fantasy VII:Advent Children (movie), The Fountain (movie), Death Note’s OSTs (anime) and .Hack//sign’s OST.
Thought i’d share with everyone, and see what are some other good soundtracks… they can come from anywhere, movies, T.V. shows, video games etc etc…
I love the soundtrack for The Wedding Singer. Takes me back to the good ol’ days of the 80s. Pretty Woman and Dead Presidents also have excellent soundtracks with a good variety of music.
The movies Hook and Braveheart have great soundtracks. The former is by John Williams and the latter by James Horner. There’s a jazzy song on the Hook soundtrack that demonstrates Williams’ stylistic versatility. And Braveheart, well, that whole thing is just damn epic.
I still have trouble, stylistically, telling them apart from Dvorak’s 9th. I think that’s a testament to Dvorak that he had such a timeless sound. And he was there first.
Only 3? I have many more favorites than that.. haha!
However, the Rush soundtrack by Eric Clapton, The Buffy Musical - Once More With Feeling, and the Star Wars of the Ring soundtrack(s). (Yea, a cheesy attempt to get four in there…)
Oh and Lucid Interval by Poor Man’s Opera. (He’s such a suck-up!)
Cowboy Bebop (the series and the movie) - awesome mix of Jazz/Bebop/Rock/Heavy Metal: You name it, it’s probably on there.
Cruel Intentions - I just happen to like every song on here, a lot.
Donnie Darko - Wonderfully chilling, and I really feel like each track tells a story and is inextricably linked to the scene it’s from. I can kind of remember the whole film from the soundtrack.
Also, the Shrek soundtracks are always a pretty tight collection of catchy tunes, as well as the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack (Including the song ‘Kissing You’. Not because it’s a good song particularly, but it’s one of those ‘our song’ moments for me).
Oh! Two more! ‘HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL’ AND ‘WICKED’! MWHAHAHAHA!
“Once Apon a Time in America” - beautiful soundtrack composed by the legendary Ennio Morricone
“Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me” - some amazing songs composed by Angelo Badalamenti ranging from spacey retro-jazz to sort of classical sounding synth/ambient music, with some unforgettable vocals by Julie Cruse
“Until the End of the World” - nice selection of new wave songs from Wim Wenders’ 80s sci-fi movie
(Pretty much all other soundtracks composed by Ennio Morricone and Angelo Badalamenti are good, though)
I also really like the soundrack to Marylin Monroe’s “River of No Return.” It’s an interesting pop take on country music.
(Pretty much other soundtracks for Marylin Monroe movies are good, though.)
I was thinking last night and figured out, my three favorite soundtracks are: Final Fantasy VII:Advent Children (movie), The Fountain (movie), Death Note’s OSTs (anime) and .Hack//sign’s OST.Thought i’d share with everyone, and see what are some other good soundtracks… they can come from anywhere, movies, T.V. shows, video games etc etc…
I haven’t listened to many soundracks, but I love the Cirque du Soleil ones that I’ve heard, especially Varekai. I also like a lot of Danny Elfman soundtracks.
I’m listening to Requim Overture as I write this, I just had it start playing when I ran across your post! Clint Mansell, and did the music for The Fountain (one of my three favorites) so I looked up this song and found it. I’ve never seen the movie, but seeing as how it’s from the same director and music producer as The Fountain… and hearing this one song makes me totally want to see the movie.
Oh and Lucid Interval by Poor Man’s Opera. (He’s such a suck-up!)
I thought about putting it on my list, but I figured it would be stretching the definition of “soundtrack” to heretofore unseen levels. Silly me, turns out I missed a grand promotional opportunity. Thanks for having my back!
(Oh yeah, you should have your offspring bring our CD to college and play it for his friends, who are hopefully as morally upright as he about copyright issues, and will thus thereafter purchase many of their own individual copies.) (Now who’s the suck-up? :pimp: )
[Edit: Steinus Mattus–an idiot who posts things more than once.]
I really like the song he did with Siouxsie and the Banshees called “Face to Face” for one of the Batman movies (the second one, I think, with Catwoman in it).
I was thinking last night and figured out, my three favorite soundtracks are: Final Fantasy VII:Advent Children (movie), The Fountain (movie), Death Note’s OSTs (anime) and .Hack//sign’s OST.
Thought i’d share with everyone, and see what are some other good soundtracks… they can come from anywhere, movies, T.V. shows, video games etc etc…
Final Fantasy music is exactly the melancholic, spooky, atmospheric, suspended, sense-of-life-sucking stuff that Rand would loathe! I personally find it quite literally to be lacking in talent, but that is because I’m a composer and know what complexity in music really is, and not just simulated like in the Final Fantasy scores. My $.02.
First off chico, what is your sample base for FF music? Are you talking about the movie music, or some of the games, too? What all have you heard?
Final Fantasy music is exactly the melancholic, spooky, atmospheric, suspended, sense-of-life-sucking stuff that Rand would loathe!
I can find counterexample pieces for every single adjective you used there. Except for “suspended”, cause I don’t know exactly what you mean by that.
Also, of what consequence is the issue of whether Rand would’ve loathed it? She said herself that no objective rules have been established for the value-judgement of music.
I personally find it quite literally to be lacking in talent, but that is because I’m a composer and know what complexity in music really is, and not just simulated like in the Final Fantasy scores. My $.02.
What do you mean by “simulated”? If you refer to the fact that the “performance” is in MIDI, that’s just cause that’s what the memory in the games allows for. Lots of the pieces have been fully orchestrated, or arranged for piano.
Is complexity necessary for music to be good? Is no simple music good?
[Edit] ..Maybe this should be split off into its own thread?