Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Metaphysical Possibility: Does It Exist?

DPW
    By DPW,
    In the thread Rationality and Objectivity, Stephen Speicher wrote: I want to first thank Stephen for raising this issue. He does make several crucial identifications, but I think he errors in distinguishing between the metaphysically possible and the epistemologically possible. What Stephen has identified is not a distinction between metaphysical possibility and epistemological possibility, where “metaphysical possibility” must be excluded from our epistemology. Instead, he ha

The Patriot Act

El Polo
    By El Polo,
    Does anyone have any specific information regarding this new "act" that was put into place? I've heard nothing but horrible things about it.

The Passion

Areactor
    By Areactor,
    What do you guys make of the success of The Passion of Christ?

Could cybornithics be the next step in evolution?

DarkFather
    By DarkFather,
    Afew days ago I was watching a short documentary about a British man who has been classed as the first human cyborg. He voluntered to have electronic implants injected into his nervous system and now with the power of thought he can control a robotic arm. It is believed that this technology could help those who have lost limbs and those with disibilaties. This could also benifit all of mankind by enhancing our sences and entergrating our minds with computers to send and receive data throught

What is egoistic love?

redfarmer
    By redfarmer,
    I was wondering: how would you define egoistic love? How is it different from most "love"? How can you be sure that a potential partner would be a good partner egoisticaly? Also, it seems that Ayn Rand was fond of love triangles in her novels: Kira, Leo, and Andrei in We The Living, Roark, Wynand, and Dominique in The Fountainhead, as well as Dagny being loved by Galt, Franscisco, Rearden, and Eddie Willers at the same time in Atlas Shrugged. In view of this, how is it possible to truly lov

Quantum Physics

The Sailor
    By The Sailor,
    Can someone explain in laymans terms, why there is solid matter when according to a TV show I saw, which did not explain it, that the building blocks of all matter, Atoms, are composed of a very small nucleus, and even smaller protons and the remaining part 90% of the atom is NOTHING. This on the surface, to a novice like me, would appear, based on common sense, to completely discredit quantum threoy.

Tactics for Civilizing Iraq

Charles
    By Charles,
    As I am sure each and every member of this forum would agree, there is a necessity in bringing freedom and reason to fundamentalist islam nations. However recent events have made quite clear what was clear already; that nations such as Iraq, will not allow themselves to modernize if in doing so they become an American industrial outpost. They dont want American culture, they dont want American companies. What many neglect to realize is that there is a whole range of islamic nations that hav

The Corrupt FCC...

stonebuddha
    By stonebuddha,
    How would society survive without the FCC? Read the horror... http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/04/24/cas...k.ap/index.html

N.Korean train collision

bnittoli
    By bnittoli,
    Not a lot of details in the story yet about the north korean train collision that might have killed 3000 people, but the description of their infrastructure sounds an awful like the series of events that led up to destruction of the Comet and Taggart Tunnel in AS. Not that I'm surprised.

Ted Galen Carpenter Strikes Again

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    Here We Go Again, Yet Another Anti-Iraq Editorial from Cato Should we cut our losses and bail out of Iraq? Was Iraq the "wrong war?" Moreover, has Iraq become another Vietnam? The editorial ignores the basic fundamental difference between the Iraq enemy and the Vietnam "enemy." In Iraq, the enemy is of the same caliber as those who attacked America on September 11th, with a similar mission. I was against the war in VietNam. I didn't see that it had anything to do with

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS