Objectivism Online Forum

Inspiration for Atlas Shrugged?

Rate this topic

Solid_Choke

I recently came across a book called The Driver by Garet Garrett written in 1922. I was just wondering if Ayn Rand had read it or if anyone else has noticed any of the similarities. In the story a speculator named Henry Galt buys a failing railroad and turns in into the best run railroad in the country. Meanwhile his competitors conspire with the government and they try use the Sherman Antitrust Act to break up and take away his company because he is "exploiting the poor". Has anyone read it? I haven't finished it yet but the similarities with Atlas Shrugged are many. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I recently came across a book called The Driver by Garet Garrett written in 1922. I was just wondering if Ayn Rand had read it or if anyone else has noticed any of the similarities. In the story a speculator named Henry Galt buys a failing railroad and turns in into the best run railroad in the country. Meanwhile his competitors conspire with the government and they try use the Sherman Antitrust Act to break up and take away his company because he is "exploiting the poor". Has anyone read it? I haven't finished it yet but the similarities with Atlas Shrugged are many. Any thoughts?

Alot of authors will base material on already written content, like making a movie, to create something more coherent to the general public. Like Harry Potter series for instance, not that I am in any way comparing Harry Potter to Atlas Shrugged. :o