Objectivism Online Forum

Armenian Genocide Bill

Rate this topic

This past Wednesday the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill labeling the 1915 massacres of ethnic Armenians in Turkey as genocide. While the acts probably were that of genocide, I question the Democratic motivation of enthusiastically supporting this bill. Why now, after all of these years?

If I am not mistaken, Turkey permits U.S. some usage of its air space for the war effort in Iraq. There is some discussion that Turkey might deny the U.S. access to its airspace in retaliation for this resolution. Turkey has already recalled its ambassador to the U.S. this past Thursday.

Does anyone think that this bill's passage was a subterfuge by some Democratic politicians to hinder the war effort in Iraq and thus increase the likelihood of an imminent withdrawal? I am entertaining this idea, but I need to do more research.

Does anyone think that this bill's passage was a subterfuge by some Democratic politicians to hinder the war effort in Iraq and thus increase the likelihood of an imminent withdrawal?
I'm more inclined to believe that this just reflects their new control over the House. They have tried to pass this for years, before 9-11, and now they can actually get it on the floor.

I don't think it's sudden -- it's frequent (2000, 2005 most recently as far as I recall).

I guess I meant, why now, all these decades later, is this suddenly important? Shouldn't this have been taken care of by past generations? What difference will it make and why waste the taxpayers time and money dealing with it? Do the people in Washington not really have more important matters to deal with?

I guess I meant, why now, all these decades later, is this suddenly important?
Well, this is one of those events that just won't go away until the last survivors do. I don't know how far back in US history there have been attempts to make official recognition of the genocide, but decades ago there was also talk about officially condemning it. I'd be interested to know if anybody has computed the amount of time spent on symbolic action that the House and Senate engage in, praising X and condemning Y, in comparision to passing laws to further restrict our freedom. Wait, maybe it's not a bad thing to distract them from their ordinary activities.