Objectivism Online Forum

Song I composed

Rate this topic

LiberTodd

I made this on a MIDI music composition program. It sort of represents, to me, the struggle and lamentations of the modern intellectual in our increasingly anti-mind society. Check it out and let me know what you think. It's only 3 minutes long but I worked for hours to create it.

http://media.putfile.com/composition-

I can't seem to hear it on that page.

It sort of represents, to me, the struggle and lamentations of the modern intellectual in our increasingly anti-mind society.

Could you compose something representing the joy and achievements of a life-loving individual in a free and rational society?

To me it sounds like some type of oddball horror soundtrack. Something that would fit adequately with what one might feel walking through a twisted haunted house where nothing could be known, every turn only made you more confused, and little ghostly clones of The Joker tap you on the shoulder and float away laughing hysterically at your peril before you can turn around to catch them.

I made this on a MIDI music composition program. It sort of represents, to me, the struggle and lamentations of the modern intellectual in our increasingly anti-mind society. Check it out and let me know what you think. It's only 3 minutes long but I worked for hours to create it.

http://media.putfile.com/composition-

Pretty powerful stuff. There is strength in the steady, onward progress. It might be a walk through Hell, but the walker is not afraid.

Pretty powerful stuff. There is strength in the steady, onward progress. It might be a walk through Hell, but the walker is not afraid.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was going for.

The "scary/sad" atmosphere it creates comes from the use of a harmonic minor scale. Although I was going for more sad than scary, I was more or less pleased with the end result. I'll probably work on another one this week if I can find the time.

Intriguing melody, nice rhythm, and harmony ... instrumentation (timber) was awful. That's the price of using cheap midi. If you could find a better music composer, with better sounds, I think it could be really good.

I thought about recording it with all actual instruments but that would take weeks. Just to co-ordinate the drum tracks with a drum machine would be a massive endeavor. I don't really have all the proper equipment for it, either. I might be involved in a sort of progressive rock orchestra next spring, though, so maybe if they're talented enough I can bring it to life.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was going for.

The "scary/sad" atmosphere it creates comes from the use of a harmonic minor scale. Although I was going for more sad than scary, I was more or less pleased with the end result. I'll probably work on another one this week if I can find the time.

I hope you do. It'll be something to look forward to.

You should try using modal improvisation. I like experimenting with all sorts of strange notes for melodies by incorporating chromatic and whole tone scales, but modes are really fun especially mixolydian and lydian. They sound as good over the tonic as an ionian mode though, i'm a we bit more of a jazzy guy.

I still can't hear it. Do you have to click on anything on that page?

It's an mp3 file. Depending on your settings for your browser, it'll play right away or you'll have to click on it. My QuickTime settings are set so it plays right away after it loads. You should see a control bar on the page with a play arrow, as you usually do for such things. ;)

You should try using modal improvisation. I like experimenting with all sorts of strange notes for melodies by incorporating chromatic and whole tone scales, but modes are really fun especially mixolydian and lydian. They sound as good over the tonic as an ionian mode though, i'm a we bit more of a jazzy guy.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. King Crimson uses a lot of whole tone scales and I've always wanted to write something like they do so maybe I'll give it a try.