Objectivism Online Forum

Forget global warming, there’s a cold spell coming

Rate this topic

By David from Truth, Justice, and the American Way,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Don’t throw out those fur coats just yet, warns Dr. Oleg Sorokhtin, Merited Scientist of Russia and fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences. Glaciers will one day reach below Moscow.

TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=3GRIMkD TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=NS6nIAd TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=zOFN5fd

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/archives/003143.html

I found this claim from the article to be interesting:

Carbon dioxide has quite a different pernicious influence—not on the climate but on synoptic activity. It absorbs infrared radiation. When tropospheric air is warm enough for complete absorption, radiation energy passes into gas fluctuations. Gas expands and dissolves to send warm air up to the stratosphere, where it clashes with cold currents coming down. With no noticeable temperature changes, synoptic activity skyrockets to whip up cyclones and anticyclones. Hence we get hurricanes, storms, tornados and other natural disasters, whose intensity largely depends on carbon dioxide concentration. In this sense, reducing its concentration in the air will have a positive effect.

I think this is contrary to the claim in Dennis Avery and Fred Singer's book Unstoppable Global Warming, but I honestly cannot remember. Anyway, I do not know enough atmospheric chemistry to know if the above connection between carbon dioxide and hurricane activity makes sense. It sounds plausible.

Edited by DarkWaters