Objectivism Online Forum

Three Bourne Movies?!?

Rate this topic

By Diana from NoodleFood,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Over the past week, Paul and I watched all three Bourne movies: The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum.

In a sense, they weren't terrible. The plots were basically coherent. The characters were mostly consistent. Yet the movies added up to nothing but a series of totally forgettable zeros.

The action, particularly the all-too-regular chase scenes served no purpose, except to inadvertently suggest (1) that Jason Bourne wasn't terribly good at the stealth for which he was supposedly trained to perfection and (2) that for all his angst about his prior killings, Jason didn't mind killing and maiming commuters and pedestrians.

The characters were just puppets acting out their parts, without rhyme or reason beyond "that's just who he/she is." Heck, they weren't even interesting puppets. Jason Bourne is driven to uncover his past, whatever the cost, but without any compelling reason for doing so except some nightmares. His years-long love affair with Marie was absurd: two people meet accidentally then fall deeply in love for no reason whatsoever.

None of the movies had any theme or purpose or point whatsoever. They were just playing out the plot for its own sake. Basically, the movies consisted of very boring naturalism marginally spiced up by one chase scene after another.

Paul and I both regarded them as a waste of time. Honestly, I think I'd rather endure the active pain of watching The Last Samurai again than endure the numb boredom of watching the Bourne movies again!221752911

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/archives/003214.html

Harsh but true...

The romance in particular made no sense to me also. I don't really recall Bourne killing pedestrians though. In any case it would probably be excused if he was in an emergency -- and face it, the trilogy is basically a series of non-stop emergencies.

The biggest flaw with the film is that I was never really able to identify with or feel empathic towards the protagonist. I mean, I guess I could see how someone could turn out the way Bourne did. It's just that he was never really a likable -or even interesting- guy, before or after he lost his memory.