Objectivism Online Forum

Seeking Good Documentaries

Rate this topic

I am looking to show some documentaries at my college as a way to garner interest in our Objectivist club.

I'm looking for non-conspiracy-theory docs about relevant issues that are in line with Objectivist thought, such as pro-capitalist pro-free market films, etc.

What are some documentaries that you would recommend we show that are good enough (and philosophically sound enough) to attach to our club name in hopes of attracting new members?

I would reccomend this:

http://amazon.decenturl.com/baadasssss-cinema

It has entertaining subject matter, and the overall message is quite in line with objectivist thought.

The film argues that Blaxploitation films were never 'exploitive', they were creative vehicles made to generate profit. Actors were paid, new jobs were created, and new talents had a venue for output.. It also highlights Fred Williamson's individual drive and ability in creating 'Original Gangsters(1996)', which was meant to showcase the acting talent he saw in his contemporaries. His success in fundraising for the film is inspiring.

Of course, they do let Quinten Tarintino speak for extended periods, which felt like nails running down a blackboard to me, but that's probably a matter of personal taste.