Objectivism Online Forum

Charlton Heston Dies at 84

Rate this topic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

Critic Pauline Kael wrote in her "Planet of the Apes" review: "With his perfect, lean-hipped, powerful body, Heston is a godlike hero; built for strength, he's an archetype of what makes Americans win. He doesn't play nice guy; he's harsh and hostile, self-centered and hot-tempered. Yet we don't hate him because he's so magnetically strong; he represents American power -- and he has the profile of an eagle."

Rest in peace.

That is sad news. A great actor. There are so many memorable lines he had. "Get your stink'n paws off me you damn dirty apes!" or "It's a mad house. A maaaaaaaaad house." and of course "If you will not live by the laws, you will die by them!"

I'll miss him.

Btw, Yahoo.com doesn't even have this news on their front page!! How ridiculous is that?

His two most memorable performances to me are Sherlock Holmes in "Crucifer of Blood" and an airplane captain in a movie whose name I don't remember. But I haven't seen all his movies--I'm sure there are more I will like. Thank you, Mr. Heston, and rest in peace.

I still believe the Musical reproduction of 'Planet of the Apes', retitled 'Stop the Planet of the Apes - I want to get off!" was better by far.

The close was better too. "Oh my god / I was wrong / It was Earth / All Along!"

I still believe the Musical reproduction of 'Planet of the Apes', retitled 'Stop the Planet of the Apes - I want to get off!" was better by far.

Is that real?

I liked the version they did on The Simpsons with Troy McLure ("Hi! I'm Troy McLure. You may remember me from other musical parodies like "The Producers II: The Audience Strikes Back," and "Annie Ban Your Gun.") Particularly the song about Dr. Zaius.

Anyway, I haven't seen many of Heston's films. I did like, if that's the word, "Soylent Green." Even though everyone saw that movie knowing the big spoiler for the ending. While I disagree with the movie's premise about overpopulation, it was very well done. The ending, of course, makes full use of Heston's talent for the big dramatic gesture. And as near-apocalyptic films go it was better than most (better than "The Omega Man," too).

From http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/movies/0...&ei=5087%0A

"In Mr. Heston, the N.R.A. found its embodiment of pioneer values — pride, independence and valor. In a speech at the N.R.A.’s annual convention in 2000, he brought the audience to its feet with a ringing attack on gun-control advocates. Paraphrasing an N.R.A. bumper sticker (“I’ll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands”), he waved a replica of a colonial musket above his head and shouted defiantly, “From my cold, dead hands!”

From http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/movies/0...&ei=5087%0A

"In Mr. Heston, the N.R.A. found its embodiment of pioneer values — pride, independence and valor. In a speech at the N.R.A.’s annual convention in 2000, he brought the audience to its feet with a ringing attack on gun-control advocates. Paraphrasing an N.R.A. bumper sticker (“I’ll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands”), he waved a replica of a colonial musket above his head and shouted defiantly, “From my cold, dead hands!”

Not to be too disrespectful but this Onion headline almost made me spit up my coffee.

Charlton Heston's Gun Taken From His Cold, Dead Hands

NIB-Heston-R.jpg

Edited by Publius