Objectivism Online Forum

Michael Crichton steps out against Viros

Rate this topic

LiberTodd

I find those criticisms to be rather ironic, coming from Crichton. My interpretation of the recent version of Andromeda Strain was that it had an pro-environmentalist political message to it.

I think someone bought the rights to Andromeda, and I doubt Crichton had any say in the "updating" of the story to "reflect the world as it is."

This isn't news for Crichton. In 2004, he wrote "State of Fear," that "science fiction novel" that had Al Gore in such a tizzy.

I find those criticisms to be rather ironic, coming from Crichton. My interpretation of the recent version of Andromeda Strain was that it had an pro-environmentalist political message to it.

I haven't seen it. I did read the book, though. In it, one character muses that perhaps humans have grown to intelligent for their own good. And of course there's the usual message about the hubris inherent in trying to manipulate nature, which of course inevitably elads to destruction (even if our heroes saved the world this time).

"Andromeda" BTW has one of the most ridiculous premises I've ever come accross in SF, and that includes "Voyager." But Crichton can, when he wants to, write in a clear and entertaining style. So I read some more of his work.

"Jurassic Park" again hits us over the head with hubris. Foolish humans trying to revive prehistoric monsters. Your planet is dooooooomed! (with apologies to Kang & Kodos). the two lead characters, Grant and Malcolm, rail against the project from begining to end (Malcolm gets eaten in the book, btw).

Finally I read "Sphere." I found its sense of life no less than disgusting. And the story comes too close to primacy of consciousness.

That's it. Crichton is a prolific and very talented writer. if he's against enviromnetalism and global warming hysteria, then good for him. we can use the help. But I'm done with his work.

Certainly "State of Fear" was a sledgehammer assault in the global warming hysteria and an entertaining book, but going back to Jurassic Park, he hints at his contempt for environmentalists.

Here is Charleton Heston reading from an excerpt of Crichton's book on the Rush Limbaugh show. Heston used this as a response to environmentalism. This was circa 1995:

I saw evidence of a bad sense of life from Crichton in Jurassic Park as well, D'kian, but State of Fear didn't come across that way to me.

Edited by Thales

I think someone bought the rights to Andromeda, and I doubt Crichton had any say in the "updating" of the story to "reflect the world as it is."

My mistake. According to Wikipedia, he is quite the anti-environmentalist. The newest version of the movie gave me the wrong impression, as it revolves around the idea that if we "exploit" the environment, we'll go extinct.

I haven't read State of Fear. Would it be worth my time?

My mistake. According to Wikipedia, he is quite the anti-environmentalist. The newest version of the movie gave me the wrong impression, as it revolves around the idea that if we "exploit" the environment, we'll go extinct.

I haven't read State of Fear. Would it be worth my time?

Definately check out State of Fear, its worth the read imo. Chrichton has a formula to his books, usually that man tries to do something big, screws up, and it comes back to bite him (Jurassic park, Westworld, Prey, etc) They sell well and the sense of life they convey is nothing worhty of praise, but State of Fear is not at all like that, and instead details the attempts of radical environmentalist to commit terrorist acts which look like natural catastrophes to change the focus from 'global warming' to 'unpredictable climate change' (in it, the caused a Tsunami, a lightning storm, among other events) and to basically instigate global totalitarian government control, he also does a good historical dramaticization (and attack) of the 'science' of Global Warming.

He's got a sharp mind, I wouldnt judge him entirely by his popular fiction. I recommend first checking out his marvelous essays,

"Aliens cause Global Warming"

http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-al...balwarming.html

and

"Environmentalism as a Religion"

http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-en...maseligion.html

I bought the Skeptic Society's conference from last year "The Environmental Wars" And Chrichton, along with Stossel, were the keynote speakers. Chrichton absolute blasted the scientific 'sketpic' community for completely dropping the ball on this and in generaly being too wary to stray into politically hot topic areas. (Shermer, for his part, is deliberately trying to get Skeptics involved in politically hot topic areas, hence this conference) Global Warming scare mongering has the hall mark of every bad psuedoscience and it's absurd the credibility that skeptics have given it. Chrichton ended predicting that in 10 years he'll be hear lecturing them again about some dumb new thing they are scared about and reminding them they were all wrong about 'Global Warming' 10 years before.

I really loved the Jurassic Park books as a kid. His books are horror type thrillers so sure they encapsulate the whole hubris of humankind cliche. If you are able to overlook that it's interesting stuff. I personally loved the way he conveys characters. Young children in my generation are constantly bombarded with the stupid idea that there's social classes. You know, the whole jock/nerd concept. His books however are a rare example (within popular art) of scientists that are not so one dimensional. The main characters in JP are very intelligent, and for once, they aren't quivering spineless bald men peering at slides through their double-thick glasses. Instead they are relatively young, dynamic, and actually display a sense of humor. I think that is what was most valuable to me as a kid.

• 1 year later...