Objectivism Online Forum

Where to go next in knowledge of Philosophy and Objectivism?

Rate this topic

Hello everyone i'm 16 now but last year when i was 15 i bought ayn rand's the fountainhead. Great book and i've even read it again i think its my favorite i've read. Well anyway my question or an opening up for discussion is what should i read? I have my basic ideals that i beleive in and strongly support them but its better to be competent in the whole view and what is really meant and i'm kind of at a point where I don't know what to do/read next. This whole view on life and the information is really interesting to me. I don't know? Coments guys?

Well, I would move on to Atlas Shrugged and the rest of Rand's novels. You can find a lot of information in there. There is a lot of info in the Ayn Rand Institute website, especially in the Lexicon. This website is actually very good for developing opinions and learning. I've already asked a few questions and just by reading around I've learned a great deal. Besides that, I don't know. I'm 15 and a fellow novice in the ways of objectivism.

I am more than twice your age ( :o ) but a fellow novice. I have been voraciously consuming Rand's works for several months now.

Atlas Shrugged is a great next step. However, you should, I think, also start reading the non-fiction. Some of the essays are incredibly compelling. I would start with "Philosophy: Who Needs It?". It will give you a solid, objectivist grounding in why its important to understand other philosophical schools and judge them all for yourself. Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal is also very interesting and gives a good look at how business and businessmen have been unfairly punished for being good at what they do, and how capitalism has been blamed for everything from promiscuity to prudishness.

It's very encouraging to see young people taking a strong interest in Rand. It helps renew my hope that the country's direction can be changed back to the right path some day!

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest reading the philosophy books. They may be harder to get through, but at least it's direct information instead of couched between narrative, description, plot, and dialog.

Note: I am an English geek. I love me some books. But I'm also a philosopher, so if I want to read a good book I will, and if I want to read philosophy I will. If it's a good book with philosophy, that's fine. But I'd rather have the straight dirt with out the extras sometimes.

I would suggest reading the philosophy books. They may be harder to get through, but at least it's direct information instead of couched between narrative, description, plot, and dialog.

Note: I am an English geek. I love me some books. But I'm also a philosopher, so if I want to read a good book I will, and if I want to read philosophy I will. If it's a good book with philosophy, that's fine. But I'd rather have the straight dirt with out the extras sometimes.

While I agree you should also read the non-fiction too, I would start with Atlas Shrugged because not only is it a great work of art, much better than The Fountainhead in my not so humble opinion, but it directly shows the Objectivists and Objectivism flawlessly. Also, I'd recommend Anthem, it's also one of my favorites.