Objectivism Online Forum

What is the O's view about the career of teaching?

Rate this topic

Marty McFly

I have never read Rand's non fiction. but according to her fiction, any kind of teaching or anything to do with the little children was altruism. I don't think she believed it, because I don't think it's true.

MAYbe, in her time, schools were not as good, maybe the teachers did not challange the smart kids enough and spent too much time on the dummies..

either way, I think that teaching can be a very satisfying career with nothing altruistic about it. I have met people who love the job of taking care of retards or looneys. they enjoy caring for them and helping them advance. I enjoy having my kids and teaching them. I love seeing them grow up and become independent. It gives ME happiness to see a kid who was so stupid and babyish grow to become smart and is able to take care of herself.

why is that portrayed like such an ugly thing in the books?

I have never read Rand's non fiction. but according to her fiction, any kind of teaching or anything to do with the little children was altruism.

I don't recall seeing that in her fiction, unless you mean what happens to the Stoddard temple aftwer the law suit. If you've read AS, though, I urge to pay attention to Hugh Akston's when he speaks of his trhee prize students. No altruism there at all. For that matter review Cameron's relationsip to Roark. They were teacher and student, too.

I don't think she believed it, because I don't think it's true.

Indeed not. I'd say two people she admired were Maria Montessori and Annie Sullivan, both extraordinary teachers.

either way, I think that teaching can be a very satisfying career with nothing altruistic about it. I have met people who love the job of taking care of retards or looneys. they enjoy caring for them and helping them advance.

Maria Montessori first demonstrated the effectiveness of her methods with retarded students with amazing results. She thought her system would work even better with regular students. She was right.

why is that portrayed like such an ugly thing in the books?

I still don't see what you mean. Perhaps if you cited an example?

In her non-fiction she frequently criticized the education system and teachers. Of particular note is an article called "The Comprachicos." I think it's in "The New Left," but I can't say for sure.

I have never read Rand's non fiction. but according to her fiction, any kind of teaching or anything to do with the little children was altruism.
Typically, when one makes an accusation like that, one provides evidence to support the claim. This is because man properly gains knowledge by reason, which is the non-contradictory integration of the perceptually undeniable (and derivatives). Man does not acquire knowledge by emotion. So in lieu of any evidence to support your claim, I have no reason to think that you are making this statement based on anything other than pure emotion.

Typically, when one makes an accusation like that, one provides evidence to support the claim. This is because man properly gains knowledge by reason, which is the non-contradictory integration of the perceptually undeniable (and derivatives). Man does not acquire knowledge by emotion. So in lieu of any evidence to support your claim, I have no reason to think that you are making this statement based on anything other than pure emotion.

You might be right. And it coud be, like D'Kian said, the Stoddard temple part. It might also be the way she described Wynand's teacher (who did spend more time with the dumb kids) or maybe it's the way she portrays the travellers in the Taggart Transcontinental (pregnant stomach bulging obscenely) I always get the wrong emotion about children in the parts where she wants to express the uglyness of society

Also, I must add that although in her times the majority of the people were not very smart, today, with all those jump-start comuter games and early learning, most children (and young people) today are smart and DO think.

In addition, she portrays the smart and able kids being ignored in her times. that might have been possible.

When I became a parent for the first time, I did alot of research on how to teach my kids in the most effective way. I discovered Dr Glenn Doman who wrote books about teaching babies. In his books he debunks myths about geniuses. He lived in the sixties. Yes in those times, geniuses were considered a 'bad' thing...

We have come a a long way since then, and I would give alot to have Ayn Rand see the future and comment on it.

Edited by Marty McFly