Objectivism Online Forum

Lithuania and it's 'stupid' problems

Rate this topic

Juxtys

I want to improve my political understanding as well as my English, so I started this thread. Everyone is welcome to discuss. I will write some problems Lithuanians have then walking the path of free society:

1. Nostalgy of communistic paradise. One third of Lithuanians look at Soviet times with nostalgy, while we were the first ones to fight against Soviet Russia. By the way, communist party is forbidden in our country, but products like Soviet sausages do exists. It is mainly due the fact of social warrantees they had during that time and Lithuania used to be the face of Soviet Union and now it is said to be the butt of European Union. At least before Romania And Bulgaria joined it.

2. Untrust of government. Only 46 percent of people voted for parliament elections last year. Nobody believes in party's promises.

3. Some stupidity in laws: you can't even build a wind power plant more powerful than 250 kW!

4. Waste of money made by the government - too big wages and too many institutions, anyone?

5. Shadow of economic crisis due to increasing oil; power and gas prices. Due to that, Lithuanians now consume 20 percent less goods and services than the last year.

6. Selling and re-selling of one of our bigest company: "Mažeikių Nafta"(Oil Refinery).

7. Shutdown of Ignalina's Nuclear Plant in 2012 we promised for European Union. Ignalina's Power plant produces 75 percent of power consumed in Lithuania. And that power is very cheap, but it is Generation One reactor, like the one that was in Chernobyl. While the clock is ticking, the new Power Plant is not rising yet and we have no connections with western power lines.

8. Threat of Russia and it's resource monopoly.

9. Thinking that the government must do everything for it's people.

10. Corruption scandals from time to time.

For now, that's all. I would like to spark some discussion from my statements.

I have one simple question: compare Lithuania to Estonia, and tell me whether what you say about Lithuania is or is not applicable (in your opinion) to Estonia. Okay, that's not phrased as a question, it's phrased as an imperative. You know what I mean. I am guessing that you will say that Estonia is different. (I only bet 100 Kroooon on that claim). So if so, why? I have a theory but I want to see what you think about the matter first.

It seems to me (and this could be totally wrong) that Estonia looked north and west to Stockholm and Helsinki, and Lithuania looked a different direction, to central and eastern Europe.

I don't know whether this is relevant to your theory but: when I was in junior high, there was a big project in Swedish schools to "reach out" to the eastern block, we would donate money and so on. But from what I recall they were always seen as a sort of homogeneous country with the same kind of culture - Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Culture of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are actually very different.

Lithuania has richer, more heroic history. Lithuania accepted christianity only at the end of fourteen century, and it was a powerful country for about 500 years, while Estonia and Latvia were conquered by German knights very fast. Estonian language is more like Finnish and Hungarian than Baltic languages(Lithuanian and Latvian). Not to mention what Lithuanian language is most archaic of them all.

I should add lack of culture and alcoholism in huge numbers to the list. That might have happened because people are so needy of Governments guidance, it makes me sad. That's one example of alcoholism common in Lithuania: http://Drunk Lithuanian, where video's comments are filled with Russian swear words.://http://Drunk Lithuanian, where vide...an swear words.

And There's going to be an election for our parliament soon. Less than 46 percent of the people will vote, because there ain't what to vote for.

Althought there is this new party this year, "Party of Nation's ressurection" that contains of some crappy pop stars who are probably going to entertain Lithuanian people with stupid actions if they get enough seats.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems to me (and this could be totally wrong) that Estonia looked north and west to Stockholm and Helsinki, and Lithuania looked a different direction, to central and eastern Europe.

Words 'Central Europe' are pretty funny for us Lithuanians since the geographical center of the Europe is in Lithuania.

By the way, our parliament elections will start the day after tomorrow.

Among all the parties, there also is a new party full of pop stars and other famous people.

I doubt that they could do anything good for us for that matter.

What do you think of such party?