Objectivism Online Forum

Murder, She Wrote

Rate this topic

kainscalia

There's been recent talk about TV shows, and it keeps reminding me about one of my favorite shows: "Murder, She Wrote." Lansbury's character, Jessica Fletcher, is a prime example of how I like my characters written: Witty, intelligent, uncompromising but gracious, and who always turn to their minds to find the answer. Although, true, the show requires the viewer to suspend his disbelief enough to accept that wherever Jessica shows up, a murder is sure to follow (she must be very unpopular at family reunions), the writing is usually entertaining, and it showcases Jessica's power of deduction and observation.

Ayn Rand, of course, had been dead for two years by the time "Murder, She Wrote" came out, but I always wonder whether she would have found the show enjoyable. It had a certain cheerfulness (despite people dropping like flies around Jessica) that still makes it one of my favorite shows.

What do you think?