Rate this topic

DavidV

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious...why do you hang out in Bible forums? :dough:

Second Question:

Can we post a question about whether God can create a mathematical equation so complex that even He cannot solve it or would that be against TOS? :D

Edited by prosperity

The couple of large Christian forums I've checked out require people to declare if they're Christian or not, and they usually have that info next to your name and avatar. So, right off the bat, you're going to have a tough time if you try to explain your viewpoint as an atheist.

Some of the forums restrict things you can do (like PMing) until you have participated enough: e.g. posted NN times. There was one forum that allowed you to PM people and do some other things (like add a signature) if you got a certain number of "blessings". Posting was a way to earn blessings, but others could also bless you, but having over some of their blessings.

I registered on a forum like that a year or so ago. I had declared myself to be an atheist, and had joined to ask for some information for a Christian relative. After that, some threads by saner people intrigued me and I figured I might be within the rules to respond politely, and let my signature be the means to more information. Problem was: how to get blessings without having to post too much?

Then it struck me: these are altruistic Christians. The forum had started me out with 5 blessings. So, I simply looked around for 5 sweet sounding female posters and blessed them, exhausting my blessings in the process. It worked! They blessed me back many-fold, and I ended up with the 30 blessings I needed! No false pretenses were used in the making of that signature :dough:

In general, remember that forums are like private property. Respect that, and stick within the rules.

Edited by softwareNerd

I read in that thread where she can't turn her brain off. It is telling that her rational faculty is rejecting the irrationality of what she has been taught. There is hope for her yet. If she dosen't allow these people to convince her to just "believe" she will come to the proper conclusions on her own.

It wouldn't hurt to have a little nudge from an Objectivist, though. :dough:

Edited by Maximus

It turns out an admin blocked me specifically for labeling myself "not a christian" and trying to PM Bex4Jesus. She believes I'm part of the "atheist group" that spammed that thread originally. I've sent a response that I am not connected with them and have no intention of harassing anyone, as she claimed.

Here is the response I received from that admin. Note the last sentence:

Brian, I will reverse your infraction and you may post on the board. Please read the board rules and the fact that as a non-Christian you are limited to posting in Introductions, Christians Answer, Kicking Back, and Chat to the Moderators.

If you contact the person in the original thread, most likely you will be banned without further warning.

Having no interest in dealing with this forum anymore, I did some simple googling and think I've tracked down the individual on facebook. I sent her a message on there. I also let that admin know all of this. :dough:

Edited by brian0918

Bear in mind that, as that forum is privately owned, they have every right to administer it as they see fit, including shutting advocates of reason such as ourselves out, if they so choose.

It would not be good for us to disrespect their property rights in pursuit of our own agenda which, for one, is adamantly in support of property rights.

Edited by Greebo

I agree with Greebo. Be respectful of their rights.

Also, the analogy with the Soviets is incorrect: this is not about building walls to keep people out. We do exactly the same thing here. We would not tolerate Christians coming here and trying to convert people.

Bear in mind that, as that forum is privately owned, they have every right to administer it as they see fit, including shutting advocates of reason such as ourselves out, if they so choose.

It would not be good for us to disrespect their property rights in pursuit of our own agenda which, for one, is adamantly in support of property rights.

Of course. Nobody here has said otherwise. I told that admin that I disagree with their practices but will respect them as it is their right. I then told them that even though they would not allow me to contact her through their site, I still found that person through Facebook. :dough:

Edited by brian0918

Damn I feel so bad for this girl, I just wish I could talk to her. And I'm angry with all these people trying to kill off her reason.
Brian can put you in touch with her. She doesn't realize how many people wish her well! :dough: Edited by softwareNerd

Of course. Nobody here has said otherwise. I told that admin that I disagree with their practices but will respect them as it is their right. I then told them that even though they would not allow me to contact her through their site, I still found that person through Facebook. :D

And that's a very proper way to do it, IMO.

I wasn't trying to single anyone out - just felt it important to stress that their forum admins have every right to run their forum that way. Like nerd said - it's not at all comparable to the Soviet walls. Those forum members are there voluntarily.

I was simply concerned that someone from here might get a little... overzealous? :dough:

Then it struck me: these are altruistic Christians. The forum had started me out with 5 blessings. So, I simply looked around for 5 sweet sounding female posters and blessed them, exhausting my blessings in the process. It worked! They blessed me back many-fold, and I ended up with the 30 blessings I needed! No false pretenses were used in the making of that signature :dough:

Always the crafty investor eh? :D

Yeah, I hit the back button quick and saved my text to a file. It doesn't look like the message was sent. I'll let you know if the person on Facebook responds.

I'd advice against trying to find her on Facebook. Not that I don't feel for her. But, we are all strangers here and my experiences with these situations leads me to believe that people view it as creepy if strangers start PMing you about random stuff. Woman especially seem to get creeped out, regardless of intentions.