Objectivism Online Forum

Question about gold as the money supply

Rate this topic

Hazmatac

That seems to be a very accurate description.

Do you have something to answer them on the 4% argument? Or is there a place where we discussed that argument?

Thanks!

I think the assumption here is that people are going to be handling the gold during common transactions, i.e., paying in gold coins; although, I have no idea how much GDP it would take to make the gold coins. It very well could be the case that minting gold money would cost 4% of GDP per year, but if that's the case it would never happen in a free market. That would give a whole new meaning to "It takes money to make money," wouldn't it? :lol: There is, however, no reason to necessarily mint gold, or any metal, for use as money, and yet still have a commodity standard.

That 4% figure strikes me as absurd. Unless it includes the cost of the gold, but that shouldn't count; the people that own the gold will pay to have it minted so they can spend it. Physically striking coins is not terribly expensive; we are willing to pay the cost to strike quarters and dimes after all. (Nickels and cents cost more to make than they are worth but part of that is materials.)

4% of the GDP? Where did you get that number?

That's the number that Bastian Hayek, in a post above, quoted coming from the Chicago School of Economics, when writing about Milton Freedman's complaints concerning a commodity standard for currency.

Just a wild guess, but currency in circulation hovered around 4% of GDP from the late 60's to the early 90's. (It fell from over 10% in the late 40's, and has recently topped 6%, and rising fast)

If that's where Friedman got his number, it's only a one-time 4% "investment" of resources to establish a standard, plus an annual increase of apx 4% of GDP growth. In a robust economy (5% growth), that's 0.2% of GDP every year, or about $28B in today's equivalent.

Hey, that's less than 1% of our federal budget!!! <_<