Objectivism Online Forum

What is Objectivism and how do you know it?

Rate this topic

What is Objectivism and how do you know it?

Why we make it up of course! :lol:

Could you be a little more specific? Objectivism is a philosophy that Ayn Rand developed. I know it because I've read her works. But this doesn't seem like the answer you were looking for.

To interpolate on your question a bit, well, the best single condensation of it is to be found in OPAR. I've come to that conclusion by reading what OPAR says, and by reading Rand's writings, and I have come to the conclusion that OPAR does get the philosophical essence of her writings (because it retains the conceptual content of the ideas expressed by Rand, but pedagogically elaborates those ideas in areas where Rand would tend to be more minimalist in her expressions).

Since Objectivism is the philosophy of Ayn Rand, and not "the accumulated words or beliefs of Ayn Rand", you especially have to distinguish between philosophical positions and non-philosophical positions -- e.g. scientific claims about medicine, psychology, historical events, physics. The ITOE discussion of philosophy vs. science is extremely useful, IMO. This is important in evaluating brief statements of hers, such as her verbal statement on homosexuality.