Objectivism Online Forum

Where To Start In Physics?

Rate this topic

Thoyd Loki

I didn't go to school after the 8th grade, so I have no knowledge at all of physics. I'd like to have some. Any recommendations on books to get in on the ground floor?

If you want to get a taste of physics, I highly recommend Isaac Asimov. He discusses the history, and gives you details on lots of seminal experiments that have been done. He includes math, but only at the level of algebra, which is usually enough to understand the concepts. He also has a very enthusiastic writing style, which can only help to motivate you.

The three volumes of his I recommend are the "Understanding Physics" series:

1> Motion, Sound and Heat

2> Light, Magnetism and Electricity

3> The Electron, Proton, and Neutron

I have all three books bound into one volume, which is great if you can find it.

These are very low cost books, but worth their weight in gold.

I also recommend Asimov on chemistry, if you're interested in that.

I'll try them both.

Thanks guys!

You're welcome!

I may be late on this, but Feynman's lectures are an order of magnitude more difficult than Asimov's books on physics. I believe the "Six Easy Pieces" is an excerpt from the full lecture set. I have all three volumes of his lectures, and it's not easy going. You can get something from them on casual reading, but if you really want to learn, then you have to put lots of time in.

Asimov directs his work toward the layman. Feynman provides notes for his undergraduate physics students. Quite a difference.

Asimov covers a lot, and gives you a real historical perspective, along with a pretty good understanding of the physics. Going by the spiral theory of knowledge, it might be best to read him first, then the Feynman lectures.

Another popularize of physics is George Gamow. I read his book on gravity, and found it an excellent introduction to the concept.