Objectivism Online Forum

Hello Forum

Rate this topic

Hi gang. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and I like what I see.

I'm a doctoral student at Georgia Tech. My field is operations research. If you've never heard of OR, just think "math that Dagny Taggart would use" -- for example, to determine a train schedule which satisfies customer demand at minimum cost. Operational problems can get really complex, and many billions of dollars are riding on methods for the solution of various types of problems.

I finished an undergraduate degree in mathematics from Duke last year. It was at Duke that I first heard about Objectivism. The first couple of years I was kind of gradually coming around to it, and then 9/11/01 really woke me up: ideas matter; bad ideas kill. From then on I was involved with Duke Objectivists (ably led by Alex Epstein, who you may recognize as a writer for ARI and TIA).

Interests of mine relevant to this group include:

• (Re-)starting an Objectivist club here at Georgia Tech. (It seems that a previous club ran out of steam around 1998.)
  • Applying Objectivism to mathematics and (partly by extension) to theoretical computer science.

I'm also a classical pianist, and I'd love to talk about music.

Hi Fred! Welcome to the board.

I definitely recommend trying to get a club going at your campus, I just did it this semester and so far have had a good response. The first thing that you should do is write to Matt Ludin at ARI (either directly at his email, which I can give you if you'd like, or by filling out the form at their campus club start page) and see if he's got a list of other people at that university or in the area who have expressed interest in being involved with a club. Then you can email them and find out if they would like to help you out with it, and you can go from there. ARI will provide you with tons of help, as will the leadership of other clubs (such as the Texas A&M club's president, David Veksler, who owns and operates this website and has helped me out a ton with my club). Anyway, that ought to be enough to get you going.

I think David and a few other board members also share your interest in how Objectivism relates to computer science, so you should be able to have some good discussions on that here.

I also love music, especially piano, and have played some in the past, and I'm sure there are other people on the board who would love to talk about it. So definitely start some threads about that.

Anyway, good to have you here!