Objectivism Online Forum

need help with computer problem

Rate this topic

The Wrath

A few days ago my internet mysteriously stopped working. My service provider came out and fiddled around with it, before telling me it was something wrong with my computer. I called Dell and they helped me mess around with it and then assured me that it was my service provider's fault. And Dell actually proved themselves to be right, by showing me that the computer was, in fact, communicating with my modem and router.

They had me go into the device manager and change the link speed of my network adapter. I didn't get it working while I was on the phone with them, but I fiddled around with it for a while and eventually got on the internet. The problem is that I had to slow my link speed. Before, it was set to auto negotiation, which had it running at 100Mbps/Full Duplex. Well, 100Mbps does not work anymore. I have to run it on 10Mbps. So, needless to say, my internet is slower now than it was before.

Does anyone know enough about this stuff to tell me why it's doing this, or how to fix it?

Thanks.

Edited by The Wrath

A few days ago my internet mysteriously stopped working. My service provider came out and fiddled around with it, before telling me it was something wrong with my computer. I called Dell and they helped me mess around with it and then assured me that it was my service provider's fault. And Dell actually proved themselves to be right, by showing me that the computer was, in fact, communicating with my modem and router.

They had me go into the device manager and change the link speed of my network adapter. I didn't get it working while I was on the phone with them, but I fiddled around with it for a while and eventually got on the internet. The problem is that I had to slow my link speed. Before, it was set to auto negotiation, which had it running at 100Mbps/Full Duplex. Well, 100Mbps does not work anymore. I have to run it on 10Mbps. So, needless to say, my internet is slower now than it was before.

Does anyone know enough about this stuff to tell me why it's doing this, or how to fix it?

Thanks.

Is it DSL? They probably already checked this, because it's almost too obvious, but make sure the filter to your phone jack is plugged into the right slot. If it's not, that can slow things down considerably. Or, I don't know, try a new filter if you have one.

I know there's tests they can run from their end to measure your speed and connectivity, because I worked (was trained, then fired for sleeping during training) at a call center for Verizon DSL.

Did your ISP provide your modem for you? If so, perhaps you can get them to replace it if it's a problem with the modem. It's probably either a problem with the modem or a problem on their end.

I had a similar problem when I first got DSL. Earthlink kept telling me it wasn't their modem, so we ran some tests. The problem was that my computer was telling me that my Ethernet connection was good, when it actually wasn't good. I replaced the Ethernet card (about $10) and haven't had a problem since, except for the fact that my DSL modem needs to be reset occasionally. What was throwing me off was the diagnosis for the Ethernet kept saying it was functioning correctly.

It's a cable modem, and it's brand new. They took the old one, just in case, even though it looks like that wasn't even the problem.

All cables modems from your building or block are sharing the same access point to a higher bandwidth link within the cable company or directly to the broader internet. If a neighbor(s) has become a video or download fiend and the total capacity of that access point is exceeded you will see lower bandwidth.

And by the way, 10Mbps is quite good enough for all practical purposes. Cable modems only support up to 30Mbps anyway if you had the pipe all to yourself (and you don't), so I doubt the link speed is an actual problem but rather a symptom. I think your problem is network congestion. Your cable company would have to spend money to fix your problem by splitting your service area or by restricting bandwidth of the end users.

P.S. test your network card by connecting it to another computer or network switch, and if both ends support 100Mbps then your computer is in the clear.

Although I forgot how, on your cable modem you can check the voltage differential to the outside (address the right URL for the modem and read what it has to say). If it is too low (the guy who taught me this a couple of years ago said a number, which is no longer applicable to my life), this will cause problems essentially because signal and noise are too hard to separate. When that happened to us, the cable guy knew to do to the alley connection and replace some connectors. I assume you've had a hardware guy check you.