Objectivism Online Forum

AntiChrist

Rate this topic

Most recent Lars Von Trier film.

Anyone seen it?

I'm not going to go into much about except the fact that I really liked it and most of the people I know who've seen it hated it.

Most especially women seem to hate it thinking it to be "anti-woman".

I just don't see that aspect of it and wonder if anyone else has a take on that issue.

If anyone is interested it isn't available on DVD yet but Netflix has it on instant play.

Persons with delicate sensibilities should be warned that it full of graphic sex, violence and mutilation.

I'm not sure how I feel. If there's some deeper meaning in it I'm not getting it. All I saw was sex and violence; not much different from today's box office hits so I'm inclined to not think much else of this film. I watched it with my girlfriend simply to shock her. That seems to be the point in this work, and to that end it achieves it's goal.

Perhaps you can explain to me what is entertaining about this?

All I saw was sex and violence; not much different from today's box office hits

I'd have to disagree there... box office hits usually use sex & violence to titillate.. something I've never really found in von Trier's works.

The filming of the opening prologue is stunning visually and the setting of it against Handel's Rinaldo is completely effective.

Perhaps best to understand that von Trier had fallen into depression and the film is a meditation on the the phases of depression and guilt.

I had no problem understanding the themes and the film's validity as a work of art, I just don't understand how so many women see misogyny in this work.

I don't find it entertaining (except the prologue which is just amazing to experience purely for its beauty independant of plot) but I do find it thought provoking.

SPOILER

SPOILER:

the child dies while his parents are having sex in the next room, the woman of course feels guilty about this.

that explains her later behaviors regarding sex and physical intimacy, not to mention her sexual violence

I had no problem understanding the themes and the film's validity as a work of art, I just don't understand how so many women see misogyny in this work.

This is something I can agree with. I definitely don't remember picking up any anti-woman imagery. If anything it was anti-Willem.

It has been a while since i last watched it so I'll give it another go. I probably wasn't paying enough attention. I should also say I'm not really a student of Von Tryer. I only picked this movie up because it had the potential to be more messed up than Eraserhead (David Lynch), not because of who wrote it.

I can't say I love or hate it...

This is something I can agree with. I definitely don't remember picking up any anti-woman imagery. If anything it was anti-Willem.

It has been a while since i last watched it so I'll give it another go. I probably wasn't paying enough attention. I should also say I'm not really a student of Von Tryer. I only picked this movie up because it had the potential to be more messed up than Eraserhead (David Lynch), not because of who wrote it.

I can't say I love or hate it...

Definitely merits watching alone and really giving it thought.

Probably being married to a therapist I picked up many of the themes more rapidly than a casual viewer would.

Edited by QuoVadis

I loved Dancer in the Dark, but I didn't watch AntiChrist because it was painted as filled with extreme violence. I figured I'm not gonna put up with a bunch of graphic scenes and nonsense, unless there's some value to the movie beyond that. I think I'll check it out now, after reading your review.

I loved Dancer in the Dark, but I didn't watch AntiChrist because it was painted as filled with extreme violence. I figured I'm not gonna put up with a bunch of graphic scenes and nonsense, unless there's some value to the movie beyond that. I think I'll check it out now, after reading your review.

I hope you'll post your impressions of it.

Why did you love Dancer in the Dark? I am not asking that as if I think there is no value in it, but it is such a depressing story. In the end evil prevails over good, and it isn't for the sake of warning like a tragedy would be.

The only enjoyment I really found in it was the music, and the fact that Bjork was in it.

Why did you love Dancer in the Dark? I am not asking that as if I think there is no value in it, but it is such a depressing story. In the end evil prevails over good, and it isn't for the sake of warning like a tragedy would be.

The only enjoyment I really found in it was the music, and the fact that Bjork was in it.

I couldn't answer that with any confidence, sorry (it was a long time ago). I just remember that I loved the film making. I don't mind sad stories if it's original and well done.