Objectivism Online Forum

Religious whackjob murders son, gets away with it

Rate this topic

Greebo

http://www.wbal.com/absolutenm/templates/s...96&zoneid=2

A woman who starved her 1-year-old son to death at the behest of a religious cult leader has been given a suspended sentence and probation.

I read this and said *WHAT???*

Ria Ramkissoon pleaded guilty to child abuse resulting in the death of her son, Javon Thompson. The plea agreement contained an extraordinary provision: If Javon is resurrected, the plea will be withdrawn.

Response: OMFG, WTF!

Cult leader Queen Antoinette told followers not to feed Javon when he did not say "Amen" during a mealtime prayer. Antoinette, her daughter and another man were convicted of second-degree murder.

HOW MANY one year olds can say ANYTHING contextually relevant?

Ramkissoon, who has been in jail since her 2008 arrest, was given five years probation on Wednesday and must complete the program at a residential treatment facility.

Well they got the mental illness part right but OMG WTF!

Assistant State's Attorney Julie Drake called the sentence compassionate but fair. She says the state sees Ramkissoon as a victim.

YGTBFSM

Just.. appalling.

A coworker - a liberal atheist - suspects that the plea bargain was accepted by the prosecutor is getting something from the mother to allow them to go after the cult leader.

I hope that's true. It would be *something* - but ultimately this was the child's MOTHER - who else but she should bear responsibility for her child's *starving* to death?

A coworker - a liberal atheist - suspects that the plea bargain was accepted by the prosecutor is getting something from the mother to allow them to go after the cult leader.

I hope that's true. It would be *something* - but ultimately this was the child's MOTHER - who else but she should bear responsibility for her child's *starving* to death?

Yeah, but distric attorneys have to make these kinds of deals all of the time to go after the big bad guys.

A drug dealer may shoot someone, but I would rather have the guys boss in jail than the thug who did it.

Plus ordering someone to be violent (who will do it) is considered just as much as murder (Yaron Brook said so at least, and I buy his argument).

Isn't the whole point of the justice system to remove the power to retaliate from the citizen so that it can objectively judge what should be done about crime and punishment?

So why did you tell us what you would rather see, instead of what the objective punishment for a person murdering a child should be?