Objectivism Online Forum

Beginning to Sculpt

Rate this topic

TheDudeWow

How does one learn to sculpt? I've been very interested in trying it, and am not sure where to begin. I don't know anything about the proper clays to use, although I would like a clay that I could bake in an oven, as I do not have access to a kiln. If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful.

If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful.

I'm not sure what you want to do with it, but one option might be polymer clay. It's PVC based so its a little plastic-y but it might be fine for practice. Otherwise you might look into joining a pottery club if there is one available. They'll usually fire stuff for you for a reasonable price.

Super sculpey should suit your needs just fine, and iirc it can be baked in an oven. Otherwise there are lots of different clays to choose from, and which ones you choose has a lot to do with personal preferences.

You can pick up steel or aluminium wire at a hardware store to build your armature(google guides for building armatures and you should find some different ways to go about it).

I recommend finding a master scupltor to start with as your teacher. At least for long enough to absorb most of the technical skills.

I studied under an artist who spent quite a while getting his pupils' drawing skills on live models up to a good level, afterwards we worked with blade and a special high-density styrofoam.

Molds can be made from that, and casting in bronze - if you can afford it!

Otherwise, the finished styrene piece can be coated with a particular type of Spanish clay.

I found the subtractive carving method more satisfying (although errors are costly), then shaping out of clay.

• 2 weeks later...

How does one learn to sculpt? I've been very interested in trying it, and am not sure where to begin. I don't know anything about the proper clays to use, although I would like a clay that I could bake in an oven, as I do not have access to a kiln. If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful.

I would suggest getting yourself a pile of Klean Klay, Roma Plastilina or similar oil-based, non-hardening modeling clays (plasticine), rather than limiting yourself to choosing a type of clay or modeling compound based on wanting a hardened finished product while not having the proper equipment. There's no need to immortalize your initial experimentations in a permanent medium. I think you should worry about learning to sculpt first, and then later, if you've gotten good at it, you'll have plenty of time to concern yourself with learning how to transfer your work to a more lasting medium.

You might also want to visit an art/hobby store and look for books and videos on sculpting techniques.

J