Objectivism Online Forum

How do you know everyone's senses are the same?

Rate this topic

When comparing leaves on a single maple tree, then observing the similarity to other maple trees of the same genus/differentia,

when tasting the similarity of 'roma tomatoes' coming from different plants,

observing different squirrels in the neighborhood over the years,

taking note of the commonality of anatomies from specie to specie,

there are plenty of observation that suggest that things can be categorized as similar and observed as such.

While we cannot view the world through another's consciousness, the similarity bore between the examples above suggest to me that what my sense organ provide to my consciousness is likely to be similar to others. Granted, hearing can be demonstrated to have different ranges, there are the color blind, but even in the above examples there can be subtle differences to outright anomolies that can be encountered as well.

If someone says: I have seen something that you will never see because, while it's real, it's not available to your sense perception organs, how can you respond?

If someone who is color blind is told that someone can see green while they will never see that color, if the perception is real, then it makes no difference to the person who can't perceive it. They will still both arrive at the same conceptual conclusions about the world. And since we are conceptual beings, that faculty is the most important. Forms of perception will not change conceptual identifications.