Objectivism Online Forum

Healthcare for 9/11 first responders

Rate this topic

Should the government provide health care for them?

Could you be more specific?

Do you mean should they have health insurance and compensation for disabilities incurred in the course of their duties provided by their employer? If that is your question they already do.

Or are you referring to the political grandstanding that has been going on to offer additional compensation?

I think it's really quite sad that members of Congress are trying to look good by pushing this issue. If there ever was a charity cause that does not need government support, this would be it. If you were to ask me to choose an issue on which to base an American-centered fundraising campaign, the issue that I could raise the most money for, I might very well choose this one. They can't even pretend their usual "responding to need" B.S. here. It's pure political point-scoring.

Could you be more specific?

Do you mean should they have health insurance and compensation for disabilities incurred in the course of their duties provided by their employer? If that is your question they already do.

Or are you referring to the political grandstanding that has been going on to offer additional compensation?

Honestly I haven't studied this issue very much, but I've seen these sob stories where 9/11 responders are suffering from cancer probably from the chemicals etc at ground zero. But does public employee insurance already cover situations like this?

Edited by Mr. Wynand

But does public employee insurance already cover situations like this?

This is really the heart of the answer. I would assume that as part of their employment they have contracted health plans. The questions then becomes "is their condition provably resulting from some 9/11 exposure" and "should such exposure and resulting condition have been reasonably covered by their contracted health plan"? Courts would be involved if there were cause to think appropriate coverage is being denied. Additionally, I don't see how they could NOT consider this a workman's compensation issue IF the conditions resulted from their exposure.