Objectivism Online Forum

My list of grievances

Rate this topic

I dont usually like to get into politics, but here I have compiled a list of grievances; instances of the violation of individual rights by the state.

The United States Government has imposed laws abridging the right to free trade beginning with the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and has misinterpreted the commerce clause to justify intruding into every economic decision made by Americans.

The United States Government has used the legalized use of force to steal the wealth of its citizens via taxation, imposing a graduated scale of taxation with penalizes ability, effort and ambition.

Acting in accordance with the communist principle "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" the United States Government has used that stolen income to support 'entitlement' programs such as welfare, unemployment insurance, social security, medicaid, housing subsidies, and food stamps.

The United States Government has forced its citizen to financially support and attend a government education system.

The United States Government has sacrificed the lives of its soldiers, not in defense of this nation, but in humanitarian and 'nation-building' missions.

The United States Government has in the past imposed a draft on its citizens and to this day reserves the option to do so.

The United States Government has nationalized roads, transportation, electricity, water, and sewage.

The United States Government has stolen property from its citizens through abuses of eminent domain; thereby seizing millions of acres of its citizens' land.

The United States Government has violated the second Amendment of its constitution by restricting the ownership of arms, and by allowing the states and localities to do so, and has jailed and massacred people who have stood on their rights as recognized in that Amendment.

The United States Government has perpetrated massacres of its own citizens, most notably at Kent State, Ruby Ridge and Waco, Texas.

The United States Government has imposed laws regulating private issues such as drug use, prostitution, seat belt and helmet laws; and where unable to pass such laws directly has browbeat the state governments into doing so, in an egregious violation of federalism.

The United States Government has imposed further regulations barring private issues among its Service Members, to include homosexual conduct, Adultery, and sodomy.

The United States Government has made laws respecting the establishment of a religion by establishing as a national motto "In God We Trust" and placing it on currency, by including the words "Under God" in the official pledge of allegiance, by maintaining a chaplain program in the armed forces, and by funding the 'faith-based initiates.'

The United States Government has imposed laws restricting medical operations, including some abortions, has regulated other forms of medical care, and has imposed price fixing on healthcare providers in the form of the Medicare program.

The United States Government has violated the first amendment of its own Constitution by imposing censorship on its citizens with indecency laws and the work of the Federal Communications Commission.

The United States Government has perpetrated the use of warrantless wiretapping against its own citizens.

The United States Government has 'indefinitely detained' its own citizens without charges or trials.

The United States Government has operated secret prisons outside of its own borders, for the purposes of circumventing its own laws.

The United States Government has imposed laws restricting assisted-suicide and suicide.

The United States Government has established a swarm of regulatory agency's to harass its people and eat out their substance, to wit:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE)

Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC)

Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)

Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Employment and Training Administration (ETA)

Employment Standards Administration (ESA)

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

Farm Credit Administration (FCA)

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)

Federal Communications Commission (FCC)

Federal Deposit Insurance Commission (FDIC)

Food and Drug Administation (FDA)

Federal Election Commission (FEC)

Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)

Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EREN)

Federal Highway Administration (FHA)

Federal Maritime Commission (FMC)

Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)

Federal Trade Commission

Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Securities and Exchange Commission

I dont usually like to get into politics, but here I have compiled a list of grievances; instances of the violation of individual rights by the state.

It's a good list, not that I'm checking it for completeness, but it looks quite thorough. However, having a periodic tendency to bursts of contrariness, I'd like to ask where you'd rather have been living for the last 235 years? I can't help thinking of a certain Monty Python bit: