Objectivism Online Forum

Highest moral feeling?

Rate this topic

Feelings don't have to lead to action, nor should they. To see this passage (or the one in the Rearden thread) as problematic you have to suppose that they do or should. We can experience feelings and acknowledge them and want to understand them (as Galt and Rearden do in these cases) without acting out.

And that is what I have been trying to understand with them in the two topics the causation of what Galt felt and what Rearden desired.

Edited by intellectualammo

• 2 weeks later...

Galt, from Atlas Shrugged:

"Ever since I can remember, I had felt that I would kill the man who'd claim that I exist for the sake of his need - and I had known that this was the highest moral feeling."

Then what, pray tell, would be the highest moral action?

Wouldn't the highest moral feeling be something more along the lines of self-esteem, love, happiness... and not said desire to kill?

Now, happiness is the highest moral purpose, can It be the highest moral feeling?

I think it's just showing how free and uncompromising Galt is.

Feelings don't have to lead to action, nor should they. 

Passions are the main thing that lead to actions.  Hunger leads us to seek food.  Thirst leads us to seek drink.  Threats to our lives or health leads us to take defensive action.  Our passion produced actions can be guided by reason,  but reason per so is not a motivation.

ruveyn1