Objectivism Online Forum

Worries about the future - Obama's actions

Rate this topic

.The robes, gavel, raised seating area, the order to stand when the judge arrives, etc, are the trappings of power that help bend the courtroom to behave as the judge wills. Right or wrong, they serve a purpose very effectively.

I would rather the reverence in a courtromm be reserved for the idea of law itself. How that may be implemented aethesically I'm not sure. The personal costuming seems to me archaic, a reminder of times when people knew their betters and were expected to feel belittled and do as told.

The gavel , the raised platform and respect for the court shown to its spokesperson the judge I can live with, but I just draw the line with costumes. The raised platform or dais should be enough of a distinction to remind everyone who controls the precedings, so why the addition of the robe? Mere tradition? If it is , what tradition? In Britian at the time of the Revolution, didn't the court function at the pleasure of the King?